1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Helping more new shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Dad, two daughters and two sons or potential son-in-laws. Couldn't tell. Doesn't matter.

Dad had a 20 ga side by side for the girls who were in late teens. Boys about same age probably a year or two older. One guy had autoloader, other 870.

One guy was hitting targets from the start. The other missing everything. He was aiming. Carefully told him to watch just the target and let your gun come to it. Kept missing. Later in the first round I told him he was aiming. Don't look directly at the bead, watch the target. Kept missing. He didn't change a thing. After the beginning of the second round and after missing several additional targets he changed his approach and started smoking them. It was clear I needed to be patient with this guy and as a friend of mine says - let him fail until he sees the need to change. The results won't change until you change the approach. When he changed, he really changed. Then he hit everything but the wide angles. Even picked up some of those late in the second round. The difference was amazing. Saved the empty for his first broken target and gave it to the dad.

Other guy was hitting targets from the start. His gun hold was terrribly low, so I commented on that, but he never changed. Ok. He carefully watched the target and then went at it with a pretty smooth move. He asked how much it was to become a member. If he does come back, he can improve with a better stance and higher gun hold.

Older daughter hit her third target. Made a big deal out of it. Saved the empty. She hit another and another. Talked about how she was looking at the target and moving to it so well. Made a good example of her. Poor gun hold, but not as bad as the rest.

Youngest daughter didn't hit a target the whole first round which was about 10 targets because other girl shot 10 and dad shot 5. Between rounds we worked on her gun hold. Upped the butt pad into her shoulder pocket, cheek on comb. Tighter overall. She was holding the gun so low she was shooting way over the target and had nothing much to see in terms of the gun on the target. She broke a target early on in the second round. Hooted and hollered. Saved the empty. Everybody was happy.

Lots of smiles and hand shakes after. They waved on the way out of the parking lot. Everybody broke targets. Dad was thrilled. I learned to be even more patient than I thought I'd ever have to be. I can sense just how perceptive new shooters are when you're telling them what to do and they aren't doing it and they are missing. They know it, you know it. They just keep missing. Their mind is getting used to the idea that this isn't working. When they accept that, they change and pow. You see results. It's remarkable. I had a great time. Very rewarding.

Joe

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Sounds great Joe. Give yourself a pat on the back for me.....

Hauxfan!

3. joe kuhn

Thanks Haux. There's a lesson in it for my own shooting as well. How long does it take before I see something isn't right, id the cure, and change. Just the other day I was needing to take a little more time to see the target well. Made all the difference in the world. That took two missed targets at my first two stations. And those darn orthodic shoe inserts. I'm not wearing them again while shooting. That took 6 rounds and half a trip back home before I saw it.

One more thing. I was surprised how little actual instruction was needed. Did lots of watching. When a problem became obvious, I talked about the correction. Then more silence and watching. Gave them the chance to change. The correction needs time to set in. Missed targets burn holes in their thinking and in their shooting behavior.

The one guy was missing targets. "Don't know what else to do. Might as well try what this guy is saying." Smoke. That first smoked target is still there in the air, floating slowly away. Life is beautiful.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Othodic shoe inserts making you miss??? Isn't that stretching it a little, Joe?

I can't imagine how, so please enlighten me. Thanks.

Hauxfan!

5. bigsky00

bigsky00 TS Member

I can totally understand this, I was watching my wife shoot and we couldn't understand why her swing would change drasticly from one shot to the next when I could see nothing else in her body position changing. She was wearing hikers and what we finally determined was that the hikers were pushing her back onto her heals part of the time and it was difficult to see in the hikers. She is now shooting in low top running shoes and the built support from the hikers is not trying to push her back on her heals any longer. Now she is consistant with her swing and has moved on to another set of problems like all of us. So I can deffinately see where othodic inserts would make you stand different and make you shift your weight different resulting in a swing using your arms instead of your body.

Seth

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Joe, are you gellin'?

7. joe kuhn

Haux, that's what I thought. My orthodics lift my heel a little and change my angle against the gun and comb. Pitch was an issue during the stock fitting and we changed it just enough so it wouldn't bite. Changed it a second time for stronger loads. I could get an even thicker pitch spacer, but it's easier to take the orthodics out. For now at least.

The stinging in my cheek was pretty hard to argue with. Was hitting 1/3 of the right handers I normally break.

No gells. These are custom fit orthodics. I won't wear them shooting. Other option was Birkenstocks, but they don't work in Winter.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Slip outa yer tennies and into a pair of cowboy boots,, if yer not used to wearing boots,, that will feel very strange too. Guys used to shooting in boots think it's the best thing since they discovered whoopie.

It's said that Arnold Reigger would stand on empty hulls rather than kick them outa the way too? Is there a hidden message that thought somewhere? Did those hulls give him more arch support making him one of the greatest shots of all time? :)

Hap

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Just got a pair of 3/4 OTC orthotics from my podiatrist to combat foot pain. The emphasized arch takes a bit to get used to, but within an hour my feet are doing great... wear them all the time, now in all my shoes.

regards to all,

Jay

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

".....let him fail until he sees the need to change." With guys especially that's good advice Joe. I teach too, mostly youngsters and women. Thankfully they will pretty much listen but had an old guy a month ago who wouldn't listen. He knew what he was doing and was gonna do it his way. Never did hit a single bird.

11. joe kuhn

Zero! Wouldn't bet on his return. Career over before it starts. On the other end we have the guys who seem to have change mastered. Adjust to weather, light conditions, etc. Quite a contrast.

Next I'd like to add some instruction to the beginning of that first round. Instead of after the fact, why not tell them up front? They might not appreciate the difference as much, but I'm considering it.

Drop to the toe on my gun is so large it's prone to rotating into my face. Foot spacers put me over the edge, again. No BS.

12. joe kuhn

Ok, the goal was to get everybody to break a target, stay polite and go home happy.

The method used was - "Here's what you're doing, try this instead." or just "Try this."

In a few words: "Change something."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.