1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Helping a friend choose an over/under

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

A friend of mine asked me to help him choose an over under. He has been shooting with me a few times and really wants to start shooting more. He has shot my XT a few times and really likes it. He has been asking me about the inexpensive choises like the Mossberg silver reserve and other below $1000. I told him that if he is set on an over/under, he should buy a quality one and he should expect to pay at least $1000. so he has said that he is willing to pay $1500 at the absolute most. And for some reason he is dead set against buying used and i dont think he'll change his mind.

I know that the a shotgun shouldn't be chosen on price alone, but we live in southern california and most gun stores have a very limited selection to shoulder in the store and there is almost no chance to shoot any kind of variety before buying.

So what would you suggest as a good all around O/U for $1500 or less? He will be shooting pretty much singles trap, skeet and 5 stand. I have looked around online and found CDNN to have very good prices, especially on Winchester 101's and the sporting variants. I appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. mecman

mecman TS Member

Check out gun broker.com plenty to check out , another good choice is Indiana gun club but i don't have their URL GOOD LUCK

3. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Skb gc7. They are good guns for the money.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Dan: I have been through this with several of my sons friends. They want an O/U but want one on the cheap. There just aint no free lunch. To buy a new Mossberg instead of a used Beretta or Browning is just idiotic. For less than $1500 you can find a very nice used O/U. (Browning or Beretta). He really needs to rethink his decision. A used Beretta or Citori with choke tubes will allow him to shoot all the clay target games; AND he will have a reliable gun that will hold much of its value. You can't give those cheap over and unders away once you buy them. Ed

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Tell hom to get on trap shooters.com and say that in a post so everybody can tell him how stupid that is. If he won't listen to you maybe he will listen to a couple hundred trap shooters. jmho Bill

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dan, have your friend look into a SKB or a Winchester Select Energy. Both are fine guns and will serve him well. You might be able to get one of these in his price range from buying a demo type gun the dealer may try to sell off. These are new guns, just that have been handled a bit from shoppers. If not, these are still the best guns for the money. He just might have to cough up abit more money. The Winchesters are made in the FN plant in Belgium, and are a solid made gun. The resale value of both of these guns are a bit low, but much better than anything else out there. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Let us know what he ends up with. If he's smart enough to take good advice, he'll go with a used Browning or Beretta. [shrugs]

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

A used Citori of some type or maybe a Beretta

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. stskid

stskid TS Member

I did buy a Mossberg Silver Reserve. After less than 3 boxes of shells, it was back for warranty work. Broken firing pin. My understanding is that this was a common problem. Service was great, but if your looking for a gun to stand up to the rigors of trap shooting I'd definitely look for a slightly used Browning or Beretta.

10. tonyd642

tonyd642 TS Member

Sell him your XT and buy my XT Combo. You will love it!

Tony D.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Hard to find quality in an O/U for that price but you might try looking for a new older model citori or 686 Beretta. Since he is going to shoot more than trap just concentrate on 30" field guns.

Used is the way to go or he should consider an auto 391 or 1100.

Joe

12. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I saw several Mossberg O/U at the club last year. ALL of them went back for warranty work, one three times until the owner got his money back. No one I know shoots them anymore. I heard that they have fixed the problem, but I have not seen that. Also, they seemed to shoot very low, like 100% low. Get something else. There are some really well priced little used guns out there.

Mike

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Danny, I want a new Corvette for $25,000,,,,not trying to be flippant,,,,but it is a similar ananogy,,,,when you want very good and NEW you will have to PAY for it,,,,I love guns and have learned one thing,,,,the new ones also depreciate just like cars,,,,if you can find a LIKE NEW one and get a quality gun,,,,your friend will be so much happier for a lot longer than buying a lower qualilty and want to trade it in a year or less and can't unload it,,,,he will then become disgruntled with all shooting....

14. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to print this out and show it to him.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

To me, helping a friend chose a trap gun is akin to helping a friend choose a wife. Some are very happy with things that would not make me happy.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

helping out a friend trap