1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Helping a brand new shooter.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

After shooting a round the other night a new shooter came over and started talking to me about what I do when I shoot. This guy is brand new. He was sharing a gun with his friend.

I went into my speel where I had him hold an empty, brass towards me, and approximate a target path. I watched the shell move and shot it with my hands so he could see what I was actually doing. I had to prompt him to watch my eyes.

When it was his turn, he tracked the target and never 'shot' the target. I finally told him to fake shoot the target. Then I noticed that he was just tracking the target and never crossing it with his fake gun.

The correction is to have him move a target in slow motion, and show him -

'track it with your eyes' - demonstrate

'move the gun across it' - demonstrate

'shoot it with your eyes still on it' - demonstrate

He was tracking the target with his eyes and following with his gun, but never crossing the target, and that's the way he really shoots. He's often behind targets. Best score is 16, usually around 13, goal is 20.

Need to check his eye dominance. He is shooting with both eyes open.

And he went out and bought an 870. Here we go!

Joe

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Last time I saw these guys we checked eye dominance and poi. Both are right eye dominant. One 870 shoots 1.5 inches high at 13 yards, the other 1.5 inches low and to the left slightly. I suggested the low shooter put a sleeve on his stock. He seemed to know what I was talking about. This is the shooter with the lower scores. Both shooters are not native speakers, which doesn't matter to me, but it figures in to whether or not the comprehension is there. It's hard to know so it's better to have them do it.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Joe - thanks for getting new shooters going. That is what we need in this sport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.