1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powertrader, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I have been using my Beretta 20 A303, with a Briley i/m extended choke. i shot a little skeet and trap years ago, and have just started again this past year. i just bought a Winchester 101 with 30" over under, and a 32" single trap barrel. I took it out yesterday for the first time, and my scores dropped big time. the Winchester has a monte carlo stock, and is the same length of pull as my other guns, but lineing up the mid bead has me off,,,, I am not sure whats doing on.

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Not An expert BUT, the first thing I would do is go to a pattern board and shoot EACH Barrel. This will give you a Visual of where the barrels are shooting. I use a 30" circle on cardboard at 30 Yards. Use a "Shooting Stick" or something to make sure you are steady. I am SURE the Experts on Ts.com will advise you MANY ways to do this. This Works for ME. Oh Yes Draw A 4" wide X 1 1/4" High Black Mark In The Center of the 30" Circle And Put Front Bead On The BOTTOM Of Mark. Just The Way I Do It. JOE W.
  3. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Neil Winston wrote a great article about how to effectively pattern your shotgun. I would certainly pattern your shotgun so that you can determine what it need to fit you.
    Mr. Winston's article can easily by found in the search section.
    Good luck
  4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jan 29, 1998
    "Lining up the mid bead"? What exactly do you mean? Is the mid bead to the right or left? Are you not seeing a figure 8? The figure 8 thing doesn't mean anything in my opinion, so if that's throwing you off, I wouldn't worry too much about that. But if it's to the right or left, you will need to address that by making adjustments to your comb.

There is an easy and effective way to dial the gun in. What I would do first is verify that the barrels are shooting straight and with the same POI. This should be done from a rest at short yardage (13 yards) with a full choke. Once that is established, have whoever handles the machines at your club set one up for dead straightaways. Now, stand on station 3 and adjust your stock (assuming that you have an adjustable comb) until you are smashing them every time (full choke).

Now, leave it alone!

You also must keep in mind that the 101 is a TOTALLY different animal than the 303 is. Maybe your 303 is off and you've just been shooting for so long, you got used to it's POI and now that you're shooting a gun that IS on, it's throwing you off. Or, maybe it's the other way around. I've seen it happen lots of times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.