1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help!! XP or Vista For New Laptop

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RunGunIPSC, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I am purchasing a new laptop. XP or Vista?? I have used XP for 6 yrs. Vista stuff cheaper,huge variety. Specifically,what problems have you encountered with Vista. Would you get it again? What do you like about it?
    Laptop will only be used for E-mail,forum sites like TS,Google research. No games,spreadsheets,record keeping,photos,fancy operations.
    Replys here or fbrglasbandit@yahoo.com Thank you to all that answer. Tom

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

My Wife has Vista on her laptop. I have XP on my new PC. Everyone I spoke with in the computer business suggested I go with XP Pro. Bill Malcolm

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have Vista on my home-build. Tons of trouble at first until service pack 1. Seems much more stable now. That being said I would probably go back to XP Pro if I knew now what I didn't know then.

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

XP XP XP XP XP XP XP PRO

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

we have vista

won't bring up tons of stuff, would never go vista again...period! Terrible for photos... Windows 95 was more reliable! Might be us, but I don't think so.

milt

PS we are changing to XP-pro asap if at all possible. If you want vista, we'll trade you with $ to boot...

6. KK

KK TS Member

Go with XP, Vista is a crash waiting to happen. My Vista system also let a virus to infect it even though I am triple protected with virus and spyware software. Its been three months and I can't dig it out of the memory. Vista is also unreliable in a lot of other applications as well. My advice, go with XP, it is a great operating system. This is the virus that I picked, it will not allow me to use System Restore. The wording on the error message is; "There was an unexpected error: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded 0x80070565. If anyone can tackle that mystery and knows how to extract it from Vista, Please let me know. KK

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Yea BUT you can;t find xp or xp pro in any new machines. I am having the same problem and can;t find an xp machine anyplace. anyone have any ideas??? I heard the the ink stop had some refurbished ones for about 400 dollars but have not seen one yet with xp pro.

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Call Dell and build your own and demand xp pro. They can do it.

9. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Joe, I bought my new PC with XP Pro about 6 weeks ago from a business supply store in a small city. They also do computers. I suggest you try the smaller individual shops and tell them you will only buy a machine if they can supply it with XP Pro. Bill Malcolm

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Many advertisements for computers that I've seen lately offer the choice of XP Pro or Vista. I'd go with the relatively bullet proof XP, Vista turned out to be nothing but a "pig with lipstick."

Robert

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I've been using Vista on the computer I built myself since it first came out. I, unlike jerry944t did my research and bought Vista Business. Also. I refrained from overclocking any aspect of my hardware. The result was absolute stability. Jerry???? want to thing about going back to standard BIOS settings?

Tom, I'll also say that you are not a power user. Why not buy one of the Net App laptops floating around for $300-$400 and be done with it . You applications are not going to tax anything. If you want to spend less, try the Asus net machines. Laptops start at $250.

12. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Most of the major vendors at least in the business class notebooks and workstations will sell you a machine with a Vista license, and back load XP Pro.

I have used Vista, and Vista 64. I run XP Pro on all my machines, servers and other units at my wife's 3 businesses. That pretty much says it all.

I am loading Linux to mess around with on an older Dell Workstation 360. If you are technically inclined, I think it offers a lot, with little downside. I have used the free Office suite from Sun. Still like Office 2003 best, although I am slowly getting accustom to 2007 and the new menus. Everything is still in 2007 and more, but just in strange places.

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Well guys,I think that pretty sums it up. Here is what I have found. I am rural. 2 local builder shops will not touch Vista. Too many problems. Dell WILL build you an XP. 1525 Inspiron low spec level for about $630. The Vostro & Latitude with reasonably decent specs will go for $850-900. Add $100 for 3 yr warrenty. You do need small business ID's to get these last 2. At least that is what a Dell home laptop rep said. Lenovo also has a few that have XP. This is all new stuff. I hesitate to buy a refurb or off-lease unless from a manufaturer itself. You just don't know how hard the gas pedal has been pushed. For those looking new like me,try Amazon,New Egg,Tiger Direct. I have dealt with New Egg. Good & very fast. Thanks again to all who shared their thoughts. XP it is. Tom

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use Vista Home Ultimate and the only hassle it gives me is that Windows Mail (which replaces Outlook Express) won't aut-complete addresses most of the time.

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

motordoctor :

I have bought all my computer stufff in the last few years from Tiger Direct they also have a lot of refurbished ones I have a friend that has bought stuff from New Egg and he said they are a good company also.

I just looked at tigerdirect and they had 27 different laptops with XP home & Pro, in them click the link above.

I also get weekly specials from them all you have to do is sign up for them most of the time they are not in the catalog.

Foggy

16. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Hard to beat a Mac for versatility & reliability!

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I bought three refurbished computers with XP rather than buy new computers with Vista. This was the first time around when XP was discontinued for a while, but then the manufacturers forced Microcrap to bring XP back. Unless Microcrap can come up with an improved Vista that is backwards compatible with a lot of software that 2000 and XP Pro was, I have no more incentive to go with it. If I have to dump software, I might as well start clean and go Mac.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They did that before, Windows ME was a festering pile of dog poo.

I replaced that with Windows 2K Pro and was very happy, but XP is all righ too.

HM

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I switched to Apple and never looked back. They are a little more costly, but they are superior to the Windows computers. IMHO. Ed

20. VNVET

VNVET Member

I bought a Dell 1525 Inspiron with Vista about 6 mos ago to specifically run the 3s software to cashier our club shoots as a stand-alone computor. I found that Vista would not run the software and in general, ran slower than XP with most other standard software. I took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buys to downgrade the notebook to XP. They said it could not be done due to the un-availibility of the necessary drivers. After some searching on the web, I found all the drivers on the Dell download website. I purchased the full version of XP Pro and after about three hours total work time, was able to downgrade to XP and now my 1525 runs just fine with no issues and runs the 3s software perfectly.

I'm no computor expert, but I felt like if I could no make it work with XP, I could always go back to Vista with the instal disc that came with the notebook. It helps to have two computors so that if you have a problem during the downgrade you can go to the web and find the correct driver, burn to a CD, and install on your notebook. You will need to identify what hardware you have installed on your notebook before starting the downgrade, find the XP drivers on the web first. Most, if not all, the Vista drivers will not work with XP. Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.