1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with XT unsingle rib adjustment.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frye, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frye

Frye TS Member

Can't wait for 'ol Sportshot's comment about this one!
    I'm having problems getting this unsingle to shoot where I want it.
    I set the gun up without using a pattern board, at first. I shot well with it. I used a pattern board last Wednesday to check POI and it was higher than I thought, I wanted a some pellets to be below the target for now until I can used to shooting a floating target. I had it about 80% high within 5 shots or so. Shot it on the Thursday league and can't hit diddly with it now. The gun isn't shooting the same POI as it was when I set it. It's all over the place. High and low. I've tried Estate shells, reloads and New AA. Same result. high and low patters from 27 yard distances. The rib it tight and I've tried different chokes. Factory and a few Briley chokes I have on hand.... Can't figure it out. Does anyone have a tried and true method to set one of these up?
    I'm stumped...
    Thanks In Advance.

Frye

2. racer

racer TS Member

How much for the barrel? Dan

3. Frye

Frye TS Member

$3,800. No case.

4. racer

racer TS Member

With all the screws rounded off? Just kidding- there nice guns. :)

5. Frye

Frye TS Member

LOL yeah, but I'd have to charge extra for the "labor"..
    I like the gun alot.... but it's smarter than me right now.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you have an adjustable rib, set desired POI on O/U barels with comb. If you have a fixed stock, skip this step. Install your Unsingle barrel. Loosen your center screws, set the back so the rib looks like the O/U, then use Neil Winston's method to set POI at 13 yards. Use a rest. I also like a few pellets under the front bead.

These ribs are very sturdy, and the adjustments do not wander.

I recently saw a "coach" from out of state use an empty shotshell box on the ground to help his student set the POI on her shotgun. After spending almost an hour doing this, the abused student shot a 17. No wonder this "coach" has to drive out of state to get work!

7. racer

racer TS Member

Couple things that stand out(in my opinion)- you have introduced about 6 to 8
    variables into your work. Start by throwing out info that is no good or not of any concern.(shells,paper poi targets). The multiple chokes could be an issue- so pick one. With the o/u barrel, get the comb setting to the point where you consistently smoke targets. Make the single "look" the same as the o/u until you get a good base of data (smoked targets)- then it's one change at a time.

One other point- most shooters get the poi/pattern board issue backwards. Example: I shot about 4 shells at vertical lines on a board when my gun was new to insure it was shooting straight.
    I shot about 4 more using the method Mr Winston discribes before I sent my gun out for comb and rad system.(stock shop). When I got it back, I shot the 4-6 shells again to get the comb where it was prior to stock work. Then started raising comb based on smoked targets. Have fun Dan

8. Frye

Frye TS Member

Thanks Everyone!
    I shot some practice rounds with it on Saturday. I put everything back to where it was out of the box and started with my O/E barrels choked full/full. My gun doesn't have the adjustable comb. I don't like them so the problem I was having wasn't a result of the comb. Monte Carlo's for me. I shot a couple of singles alternating barrels to make sure I was seeing the same breaks, and I was. I shot a shell each into some cardboard, Not for patterning purposes, just to see where it was hitting, I then matched my unsingle to that and hit the singles line for 2 rounds. I was getting smoked targets just about every shot, Happy.... I went back to the 20 leaving the rib where it was, again shot very well, lots of smoked targets and saw very little difference in sight picture from the 16 yard line. Happy there.... I went back to the 27 and shot one round, darkness foiled any more than that. I lowered the rib one notch about halfway thru to bring the target up a little in the sight picture. I was covering more of it that I wanted to see... I didn't shoot as well but I wasn't out for high scores. I think I'm close to where I need the gun to shoot for my style. More 27 yard practice rounds I should have better feel for it. I didn't have any wandering patterns... I'm not sure what the heck was causing that.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Racer has it down pat.

Stick in a choke for smoke, and use it on both 16's and caps. Set your gun to hit your caps targets, and I will bet a quarter that will work for you at the 16!

They are one of the best gun values on the market today!

I shot my Perazzi MX-8 on the Skeet field today. Never again. The Browning is much more suited for this game for the way I shoot. :^)

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is too bad that you do not like adjustable combs. It sounds to me like you need to raise your comb a little for the 27 yard line. HMB

11. Frye

Frye TS Member

Nah, I can do without the adjustable comb. That's just one more thing I'd be temped to adjust when I shoot bad. I've got full chokes in the gun now and I'll continue my attack on setting the rib later this week during leagues. The unsingle has all the adjustment I need to get the gun to shoot where I want it. It's close now, just need to dial it in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.