1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Winchester SX2 Trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chuck DeVoid, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

I have a Winchester 30" SX2 Signature Red Sporting. Got a tremendous buy at Gander Mountain (550.00 new), the gun fits and shoots well, but it has a rather stiff trigger pull which is detrimental to shooting smoothly.

With the trigger assembly removed the engagement surfaces are right there and easily identified. One evening I put a little valve grinding compound between these surfaces and worked the trigger about 500 times, refreshing the compound as needed. I had read somewhere that this method was a safe way for a novice to improve a trigger. Anyway, it didn't make one bit of difference.

I ask if anyone knows if I continued to work the trigger with valve grounding compound between the two applicable surfaces if it would make a difference, or am I wasting my time??? (one of the parts seems to have an almost imperceptible hook at the end of it, if memory serves)

I know that a trip to a qualified gunsmith would be the right way to go, but I was hoping to get a small improvement safely on my own, enough to make a difference, without incurring the expense.

Thanks in advance, Bill

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My friend is in the same boat. The spring has a hook on each end, so lightening it is technically difficult. He put a clamp on the trigger to hold it in the pulled position while in the cabinet. I don't think it will change anything.

I would not mess with the mating surfaces of the sear. Manufacturers will not warranty anything if it has been messed with. If you are removing metal from the sear engagement it would be dangerous.

Besides, It will not change anything. I would get an opinion from someone qualified. What you need is a spring with less tension.

HM

3. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

Thanks HM. You're right of course. I was just trying to get a little improvement via the poor mans method.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester sx2 signature red

winchester sx2 trigger

winchester sx2 trigger release