1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Winchester 9422

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by plux001, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plux001

plux001 Member

Sure would like some suggestions on this one. Here's what happened. Like most of us, I'm primarily into shotguns. One of my boys wanted to do a bit of rifle, so I purchased a .22 to give him for Christmas. In talking with my wife, she remarked that my dozen or so shotguns won't do much for me when my son want to do some rifle shooting. So I shopped for a .22 "shooter", and purchased a Winchester 9422. Bought the gun sight-unseen (from a guy I knew), with a 30 day right to return it for any reason. I THOUGHT I was buying a shooter, and what I got was a near perfect, early production rifle. The thing is flawless and beautiful. It was my intent to mount a scope, as it is grooved for one from the factory. If I mount one, will the scope mounts mark the top of the gun? Should I put this thing in the back of my safe and forget it's there (and go purchase something a bit more "used")? What do y'all think???

Paul

2. rd

rd TS Member

Guns are for shooting. I never buy a gun, even a very high end, beautiful and possibly collectible gun, unless I can shoot it. You will get far more pleasure out of it by shooting it with your son and leaving it to him when you pass on than you will by putting it in a safe and looking at it once a year.

3. jrw136

jrw136 Member

Don’t put it in your safe, just send it to me and I will send to you an honest to gosh Squirrel killing machine. Comes with a high $ rim fire scope and looks like it just came from the store. Now truthfully, how old is your son? If he’s mature enough to take care of it let him have it. If not go get an old Marlin Model 60 for now and give it to him when he is older. As long as his eyes are good leave the scope off. They are not yet collector’s items, but they are now considered old school Winchester and some day may fall in there right behind a Model 94.

4. plux001

plux001 Member

I agree....nothing in my safe is not a shooter, and I want to keep it that way. The Winchester is for me. The gun my son is getting this Christmas is the Marlin 60!!! Figured I would let him shoot the hell out of it, then dump it and get him a nice .22 when he is older. I am the one that needs the scope. Will I damage the Winchester mounting the scope???

Paul

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

no more than shooting it! used is used go for it!

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ride'em cowboy!

I've made some collectors wince, but none of my guns collected dust. They've all been used. Yeah, we don't like to see scratches, dents, wear and blemishes. But they are tools, and tools get used.

One criticism of the 9422. They have a very poor cheekweld with scopes, and no one makes a true low ring set. Oh, the boxes will say low, but if you do the measurements the truly low rings are no longer offered. And even that's a moot point if you use a scope with anything larger than a 32mm objective. I've gone back to iron sights, and may install a tang sight (drill and tap).

[​IMG]

This is my son's 1 of 500 9422 16" Trapper models in .22 LR. I have one also. They are not safe queens. They go on hunting trips.

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What are those guns worth nowadays. Say an earlier model without checkering.

GneJ

8. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Paul,

I got a 9422 for my birthday in 1978. All my "runnin' buddies" in High School had Marlin or Browning lever guns. My Winchester was the pick of the litter. The action was incredibly smooth compared to the others. Everyone always wanted to shoot the Winchester.

Here is an idea. Give your son the .22LR as is, and buy a magnum with a scope for yourself!

If Paul says it is nice, he ain't kidding. I'm getting ready to go shoot his old (former) BT.

9. gtrjames

gtrjames TS Member

My first .22 was a 9422 early model...no checkering...man it was slick...wish I still had it..they are worth a mint already...I would not put a scope on it, but that's just me...I would shoot it though!

10. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I agree with the apparent consensus. Shoot it. Now if you had a new, unfired, in-the-box Model 12 in 28 gauge...maybe keep it virgin. But to have a gun and not ever shoot it ain't any fun. On second thought, I'd probably take the 28 gauge out of the box and shoot it.

11. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have both the 22 Long Rifle and the 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire version of the Winchester 9422 rifles.

Enjoy them both.

Actually use the magnum version a lot more than the Long Rifle version.

Guess the cheaper Long Rifle ammo gets spread across a lot more plinkers and the Magnum version gets the bulk of my Magnum rimfire hunting needs.

The Magnum works better on desert jackrabbits and prairie dogs than does plain Long Rifle ammo.

12. Brian in Oregon

Quote: <i>"Here is an idea. Give your son the .22LR as is, and buy a magnum with a scope for yourself!"</i>

Or a 9417 (17 HMR). I have one of those too.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The last page of the August 2011 American Rifleman ("I have this old gun...") is concerning the Winchester 9422M (.22 Magnum) and stated "In 100% new-in-box condition, non commemorative guns typically fetch around $750."

I would guess the standard .22 LR would bring $100-$50 less, but maybe not. The last gun auction I attended, anything with Winchester on it seemed to bring a premium. They even had a 9417, and it brought $750 (no box, but very good condition). Good luck.

14. plux001

plux001 Member

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.
    Still have not decided what to do, but I am leaning toward mounting the scope and just having fun with my son. Will post some pics if I have a chance.

Paul

(Good to hear my BT-99 is out breaking birds. Just too beautiful to sit in the safe. So glad you are enjoying it....)

15. Brian in Oregon

Just mount the scope and shoot it.

If he ever gets rid of it the next guy can worry about the blems. Which I doubt will ever happen because he'll like the gun.

16. plux001

plux001 Member

Finally got around to snapping some pics.
    Thanks for all the advice. Decided I am a shooter, not a collector. I take care of my stuff, but this thing is gonna see some fun with my boys.

Paul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Heck yes give your boy(s) the rifle. It is a really nice gift they will cherish and remember their entire life. Who cares what the rifle would be worth if you were to keep in the box. Its going to be worth alot more to your family if you take it out and have some fun with it.

FWIW, young people don't necessarily beat up and abuse their guns. I didn't as a kid and my daughter doesn't beat up her lowly 10/22. It is entirely possible to have a great time shooting a lot and not damage the gun and I'll bet your boys will respect the quality of the rifle you are giving them.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

you wont need to worry...they will keep it forever and hopefully shoot it just as long and pass it to their sons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester 9422m shoot low

9422 winchester show video of putting it together