1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with where a call originated

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pete F (PA), Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete F (PA)

Pete F (PA) TS Member

While shooting skeet last week.
    The shooter call for high house PULL.
    The call for low house MARK IT
    Is there some history to this type call.
    I didn't ask for being a stupid trapshooter.
    Thanks and Happy Holidays
    Pete

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Pull & mark it come from rifle shooting where the target frame was pulled down into a trench and the target was marked with 1"+ paper red or black dots to indicate where the hits where. First time I heard that was on a military firing range.

Eric

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I only shoot Skeet once per year and only when no one is watching but The old guys called Pull and Mark and Pair where I was taught.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Eric ... good attempt at an answer but ... well ... good attempt.

Bad in the olden days of skeet when you had kids in the house back before the days of the electric trigger cords you would always say "PULL" for the high house and "MARK" for the low house. The kids inside the houses would listen for either pull or mark and then would know who was supposed to do what ... or something along those lines if I remember correctly.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Lumper,

Your answer seems more appropriate to the question asked. Thanks for the history lesson.

Eric

6. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

What if the kid in the low house wasn't named Mark? Gary L.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Well ... back in the beginning of skeet the 1st kid who worked threw the targets from the high house was named Paul and the 1st kid in the low house was named Mark so. It came to pass that when spoken loudly enough for the kids to hear that "Paul" was heard as "Pull" so that is what became the official term for the high house and anyone by any name could work the high house but ... well .. the low house is a different story.

It was always difficult to find a kid names "Mark" to work so the kids who did work in the low house were always paid a little more than the high house kid because for the day they would have to learn to respond to a different name other than the one given to them at birth. This did cause a few low house workers to go crazy and throw a target when the high house was called for and ... well ... now we are venturing into the history of skeet doubles.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Heck, all the kis at my club have first names beginning in J (Jake, Josh, Jonathan, Jeremy, Jared, Jezebel, etc.)

I can't keep them straight.

So when I call for skeet targets now I just yell, "Jjjjj..."

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Is Jezebel over 18? If she is I might want to shoot at your club ...

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pull- kid in the high house released the target

Mark- kid in the low house released the target

Birds- both kids released the targets

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

lumper, behave!

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hey now ... have you ever thought that maybe her parents named her Jezebel because of some sort of crystal ball type of name picking they did and that is the name that would best suit her later in life?

Uh oh ... I am really beginning to get out there ... I wonder if I forgot to take all of my noontime medications?

13. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

some truth to all above. Pull was high, mark was low. Birds meant both targets. Its been more like 50 years. When Winchester introduced the automatic machines they had pull cords of course. Most of the pull and mark calls were made before the machines had motors on them. With the motors running in the houses you cant even hear a Belching trapshooter call Heyyyyyy...Huppppppp.....yeahhhhhh...or the like. The boys were in the houses loading 1 bird and a time, and all except the Reminton Wonder trap, they had to be cocked by hand. So Fred said

14. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Pull and Mark were used at Mercury Gun Club up to the day it was closed about 10 years ago.

Sad day it was.

Shitty thing is nothing is on the property. The houses are still there, the club house is still there. No shooting.

But... I still call Pull/mark every once in a while if I shoot a round of skeet at Delaware County.

15. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

I believ what you say JA. But none of those shooters used pull and mark where a registered shoot took place 10 years ago. What happened to the club? Fred

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pull and Mark are still used to this day Fred. I have heard more use those terms because that is what they used so many years ago and still use today but you are correct ... many in registered shoots do not say pull or mark for the main reason that all they have ever had to say was PULL!

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Nice to get the correct answer. Now if you are paying attention you just recieved a history lesson. I did not know the answer but I will remember it. Bill

18. Pete F (PA)

Pete F (PA) TS Member

Thanks for all your insight.
    I'll bet a lot of the readers didnot know Pull and Mark
    Again Happy Holidays
    Pete

19. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Maybe the kids' names were Paul and Mark.......just a thought....lol

Jim C

20. lumper

lumper TS Member