1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with value of Kimber pistol.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't have a new Blue Book here where I'm at and a friend won this gun and asked me to find out the value of a Kimber Eclipse II .45 cal and is a NRA 2005 FNRA Gun of the Year with NRA engraved into the wooden grips. It is in a NRA Lockable case. It has been shot but is in new condition otherwise. Thanks for your help. Jackie B.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Once it's been shot it is just another Kimber. They go from $500 to $650 used around here. Used Kimbers take a big hit off the new price.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If the slide says "Kimber Custom Shop" on the side, then you have something. Otherwise it's just an overpriced, average at best, 1911. No real value and being a NRA gun doesn't help it out.

ss

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't get the Kimber hatred. I've owned several 1911s that I would consider "average" - Taurus, Springfield, even a Series 70 Gold Cup - and the Kimber Stainless Gold Match II that I recently bought is head and shoulders above all but the Gold Cup for fit and finish and it is the most accurate of the bunch (with my loads, anyway). It's also the only 1911 I've had that ejects its empties in exactly the same direction every time, which I'm told is an indicator of good barrel-slide-bushing fit.

Although I never owned a series I Kimber, I understand they were made with better materials and may have been hand-fit a little better. But as well as mine functions, I'm very happy with it.

Here's a testimonial. I went to the indoor range that I am a member of last night but realized when I got there that a league shoot was about to start. I went in anyway and when one of our team member's High Standard broke a spring during sighter shooting, I offered him my Kimber. I put the 22LR conversion kit on it and he quickly shot some sighters. He didn't shoot his best score of the season but it was good enough to count for our team.

Ed

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I own a couple of Springfields, and an STI or two, Les Baer, and what Kimber is making these days doesn't even compare. The fit and finish is sloppy and the triggers need work. I have two buddies that bought into the Kimber Kool-Aid and are sadly dissappointed. They got a real eye opener when another buddy showed up with a Rock Island 1911 and it out shot their Kimbers for half the money! Kimber is banking on a name they made 10 years ago.

Just google up all the problems people are having with their Kimbers (we won't even discuss the solo carry).

ss

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

The 3 Kimbers I have owned have all been sent back to the factory for different reasons. Factory support is dismal, at best.

No more Kimbers for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I have an old Gold Match that is about 15 years old.The gun is outstanding accuracy wise,and for fit,and function is top of the line.I know this isn't a Les Baer,or a Wilson Combat,but for what I have in it($900) its a steal.

D.P.Reynolds

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

No Kimber hate, just fact. The L.A. Sheriffs Dept. Issued the Kimber for about 20 minutes, and after major problems while qualifying with them, they re issued other handguns. The Kimbers never made it to the street.

The majority of malfunctioning or broken 1911 pistols I see in my shop are, guess what?

Used ones typically have low resale value. One shot by the buyer, and it is used.

Right now, the Sig 1911 is a good buy. Hand fitted, good parts, great guns.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I wonder why these horror stories don't show up in the Kimber section of the 1911 Forum. You see a report of a failure requiring a warranty repair every now and then but the outcomes are always satisfactory - quick turnaround and competent repair.

The trigger comment really surprises me. The gunsmith to whom I have my online purchases sent is S&W-trained but his 1911s are all Kimbers. He checked the trigger 10 times with his digital gauge - nine breaks at 4 pounds, 12 ounces and one at 4 pounds, 11 ounces. Mine is crisp and, obviously, very consistent. Even the guy who shot it in a league match last night said that aside from being a little stiffer than what he is accustomed to, it was a fine trigger.

Hopefully, Kimber went through a rough patch and has turned things around. I know that in the not too distant past, they went from forged to MIM parts like S&W did years ago but unlike with S&W, there doesn't appear to be any visual difference and on the forum, no one has voiced a strong dislike for the parts like you read on the S&W Forum.

Mine works great; I guess that's all I should worry about.

Ed

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I know of at least 10 Kimbers within my group of friends. 4 are less than a year old, and there have been zero issues. I've had my Kimber Team Match since 2009, and it has jammed twice, both with the same ammo. These guns get a lot of use. I shoot my pro carry often too. No issues. Both shoot better than I ever will.

I too am a member of M1911.org. You'll see an occasional Kimber issue on the site, but no more than with any other gun in it's price range.

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My nephew told me He would take $750.00 shipped for the Kimber. I misunderstood him and He said it has never been shot since He received it at the NRA dinner. Jackie B.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Not too bad of a price. You can have some fun and enjoy shooting it for a while on the cheap for 1911 standards.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kimber eclipse fnra gun of the year

kimber solo resale value

kimber solo resale values