1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with teaching a young shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddeath, Jun 18, 2013.

1. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Jun 1, 2011
    I have a young shooter who was coming along nicely. In fact he was on the brink of his 25 straight. Then as if from nowhere he started to miss ALOT! watching his barrel as he moved it, showed me something very odd. It appeared as if he was experiencing far more recoil then the gun can create (muzzle was violently flipping upward). It was at that point I had an idea, I loaded an empty shell into the gun and in an instant I saw the issue. As he pulled the trigger he would push the gun forward away from his body. Obviously one serious flinch going on! This is what I am doing:
    Having him work on dry fires with a snap cap.
    Told him to follow the pieces even after he shoots.
    We will be loading some lighter loads for him to use for a while.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks All!
  2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2007
    bumpbuster or kickeze recoil reducer..... one or our kids went from shooting 3 boxes with a sore shoulder to 9 boxes at practice and not even sore..
  3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I load 12 gauge 3/4 oz shells that have half the recoil of standard 12 gauge target loads. Depending on his size and if the gun fits, this could really help him with recoil issues, and they still break targets at 16 yards with authority.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Back off the shotgun shooting for awhile. Substitute with an air gun on hand thrown targets. A simple 'Red Ryder' and a few empty soup cans can be lots of fun and get his mind to separate the shooting from the noise and recoil. Two things will be accomplished here - one is the eye hand cordination required to hit the target will be integrated with follow through and two, he will build additional muscle in his upper body from cocking the bb gun so much. Both of these things will help him deal with recoil and focusing on hitting the target.

In the mean time examine the other mechanical possibilities such as stock fit of the shotgun, gun weight etc. Go back to the trap shooting in limited quantities like one round per session. Work up slowly and in a rewarding manner.
  5. mich746

mich746 Member

May 2, 2013
    I kind of don't agree with following pieces after he shoots. I was given that advice awhile back and it was awkward for me, jerking around trying to follow pieces. After the bird breaks it's over.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
  6. perezal

perezal Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Just load some 3/4 oz or 7/8 oz loads for him. Or you can also try 1oz loads running 980fps if you like.
  7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Brillion, WI
    Some aspect of recoil got to him. It could have been recoil to his face or more likely, recoil to his shoulder. You need to know which and then work on reducing it to an acceptable level.

How tall is the youth and what does he or she weigh? What gus is he or she shooting?

How is the pitch on his or her stock? Is it right for him or her and the way he or she shoots?

Regardless of the above answers, lighter loads are a very good idea.

8. Sevin

Sevin TS Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Once the flinching starts it is hard to get rid of. Dry fire and staying in the gun and getting the young shooter secure is the best advise. Following pieces is also a great idea because it re-enforces "staying in the shot" . Hit or miss follow the target or pieces to the ground. Also, in the future he will probably hunt or try doubles or shoot bunker, who knows? So following pieces is a great idea, someday he will shoot more than once at something. Low recoil shells, or a smaller caliber is good too. We have kids shoot with a spring powered BB pistol using the forward hand ( IE right shoulder shooter holds pistol in the left hand, both eyes open, no head tilt. It is said that the trigger is pulled by the eyes, so let the young shooter shoot all he can with no recoil, eventually it should moderate.
  9. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I sent you a PM
  10. CKR

CKR Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Recoil reduction is a big part of the issue but stock pitch can be even bigger. Just went through this with my daughter. Ended up with a wedge spacer for pad (probably a full 1/4" out at top) and ground off the inside 1/2 of pad to allow for straight up gun mount. 100+ targets a day two weeks later is a non-issue. Don't be afraid to make alterations.
  11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Is he mounting the gun in his " Pocket?"

The pocket is the area between the shoulder and neck and is formed by raising the Stock side shoulder level or slightly higher than the stock when mounted.

All our kids use vest with the Browning "Reactor Pad" and this alleviates a lot of sore spots.
  12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Northampton PA
    Check trigger pull weight!!