1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with SxS ident and value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Need a little help here with a customer gun. He inherited a John Dickenson or Dickson maybe and Sons 12ga SxS. It has fluid steel barrels and looks to be of good quality. Lots of engraving and nice wood. My iphone takes poor pic's but here is what I took. The serial# is 2371 and it looks to be made around the teens to early 20's. Any help with value so he can get it insured properly would help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ss

2. doubleman

doubleman Member

I'll try to give you some info. the maker is John Dickson of Edinburgh Scotland, the serial number 2571 dates the gun to 1864. The action's locking system is a Jone's underlever which is one of the stongest locking systems ever designed and basicly uses a big screw to bolt the barrels to the action.
    The barrels are probably not fluid steel but rather damascus unless the gun was rebarreled at some point in its life, if you push the wedge key out of the forend and remove it you may see the damascus pattern under it. The key will probably have a keeper on it so it will not push completely out of the forend only far enough to release the forearm from the barrels. Once you have removed it open the action and remove the barrels and you will find the proof marks on the action and barrel flats that should provide some more info about the gun.
    As to the quality of the gun Dickson never made a low quality firearm. As per the value if you do an internet search you will find the info you are looking for.

3. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

The gun has been re-barreled if they are fluid steel marked. No gun that early would have anything but Damascus from the maker. What are the proof marks on the barrels? They can tell you a lot about the gun. Are bores bright or pitted?

I agree: Dickson never made a bad gun.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If the barrels aren't fluid steel (no such marking)then I've finally seen a set of nice damascus. There was none of the visible lines that I've commonly seen with older damascus barrels. The bores are bright and shinny on this gun. it has been used, but taken care of nicely.

I didn't remove the forearm for the fear of something going wrong. I'll try to do some more inspection on the gun today if I can get him to bring it by.

Thanks for the help guys!

ss

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The wood to metal fit around the locks looks very good. Don't screw that up by taking it apart. It is one of the things that is very expensive to fix on an old gun. Your gun may be a converted pinfire. This could be a real diamond in the rough. Where are you located? Maybe we can recommend a person to inspect it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sxsident