1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Stock ID

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Danny56, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

I have an old Westley Richards single barrel Trap gun. It was restocked at one time. I was wondering if anyone recognised the work. Thanks to all.
    [​IMG]

2. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Pistol grip cap looks a little like Anton.Unsure if that is right but it is very pretty keep it around. Jeff

3. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

I had someone else tell me it may be an Anton. If it helps any there is a gold crown embeded on the bottom of the Pistol grip cap. There is not much info available on the internet about Anton. Can anyone enlighten me?

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a friend that has a Model 12 that he had Anton stock for him around 1972. It too was not a normal style but was a very high grade model.

Ed Yanchok

5. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Thanks to all that responded. Heres a pic of the Forend.
    [​IMG]

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Anton style, Crown grade most likely. Anton business was either sold or assumed by Paul Hillmer in Iowa.
    Phone is 319-988-3941
    His email is pchillmer@mchsi.com.
    Wife's name is Cheryl.
    Address is :
    6514 Watters Rd.
    Hudson, Iowa 50643

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

While the pistol grip addition is typical of Anton, the checkering is way, way fancier than usual. As is, frankly, the wood. I'd give credit to some high-high grade stockmaker for this, not only for the checkering, but for the general shape of the piece - Anton generally had a semi-rollover style and this isn't one of those either.

Neil

8. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Thanks Neil, The pictures do not do any justice to the stock the wood is phenominal. As far as the checkering goes the paterns look similar to high end Silver Seitz guns I have seen. You are probably right the Pistol cap was done by Anton (Crown Grade) But I think the rest of the work was done by someone else. I guess it still remains a mystery. Cheers Scott

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

love that tear drop checking nice touch.

10. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Maclellan 1911, I don't think that is "Tear drop checkering". It looks more like a Fleur De Li pattern. Which led me to think it was done by famed Quebec stockmaker Klaus Hiptmayer. I sent some pic's to him. He said it was not his work but whoever did it was a master and new what they were doing. Scott

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

0klet me rephrase, I like the added teardrop shape in the pattern on the stock.

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Anton with possibly another checkerer. The checkering was done at the time of the gtip cap otherwise the checkering would have gone lower in the grip.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.