1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with softest shooting gun after surgery ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gus, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gus

gus Member

I had 2 neck disks removed in June and hope to get back to shooting in January if the surgeon lets me. I was shooting a BT 99 Plus and am wondering if going to a Beretta semi auto might be easier on me . Any help, especially from someone who has shot both is appreciated.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gus, I shot my P TM-1 for more than 25 years or so with a Carey RR adjustable sliding comb stock. I had to go to my B 303 with a new Simms fitted to me stock with a lot of added weight. My B weighs over 10-1/2 pounds. If I couldn't add the extra weight, I'd have to give up shooting in any trap event. My P MX-3 Special weights real close to 13 pounds and may have a tad less felt recoil. If you can possibly handle extra weight, add it to whatever choice you make and good luck guy!

Gene Hapney

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Probably a beretta 391 w/ a soft touch composite stock. You could set one up for about $1300 if you play your cards right...

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'd get Ken Rucker to put a Bumpbuster on a 390/391 Beretta and never look back..

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Whatever gun you decide try using the lightest shells you can get or reload . If the surgery is OK then you should have nothing to worry about . I never went for the surgery but when I had my herniated disk and wore a neck brace I was fine shooting a Ljutic Mono with no added weight.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I would do the Soft touch on the 391 Target or Trap. They are soft shooters and the softouch will allow your head to remain nearly still when you shoot. I can't imagine anything softer than a softouch, 391 trap, and 1 oz or less loads.

7. gus

gus Member

Thanks guys, I am looking at a Urika Parallel target but wondering if there will that much difference in recoil to justify spending the $$$$.

8. JOND

JOND TS Member

Maybe look at a Browning recoiless. Not a great gun,but not much recoil at all! Just a thought. JOND n

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Shoot what ever gun you want but shoot 3/4 oz. loads in it. No recoil at all, none at all.

10. gus

gus Member

One of my problems is I have 14 cases of 1 1/8 oz Remington gun clubs in the basement I have to use up!!!

11. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

beretta 390/391 with either a soft touch or a g-square--my g-square stocked 390 is the softest I or any of my friends have ever shot.

12. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

I went to an 1100 in 28 ga, with shell catcher. Did me well for the 6 months I had to downsize. John

13. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Gus,

Just started back shooting two weekends ago, have had both shoulders fully replaced (Titanium) 6 months ago, Doc said no more shooting.

Had Pat McCarthy make me a Stock-Lock for my Krieghoff, I am shooting Winchester extra-lite 1oz and man-o-man I did not know shooting could be so much fun.

Doc gave me the go-ahead to start back after seeing Pat's invention, nearly better than sex, I said nearly.

Release Trigger........... Good luck with your decision
    [​IMG]

14. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Have been shooting Pats Stock Lock for six years after shoulder surgery could not shoot without it have one on my Doubles gun as well wife shoot one also like shooting a bb gun Denny

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you like and shoot well with the gun you have there's no point in spending the money for another gun you may not like or shoot as well with. Try some Remington Reduced Recoil 1 oz loads, they are about 1100 fps and will powder any bird with very little recoil. If those are too much, the Winchester Feather lite 28 gram loads have no recoil in any gun I've tried them in, no, none. And surprisingly they bust targets just fine. You can sell the heavy loads you have if you need to I'm sure.

16. gus

gus Member

Darn , I only asked my doctor about golf and shooting, I forgot to ask him about sex.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

find a nice 870 Comp and have Ken Rucker install his new rig on it...cheap, soft shooting and a target crusher par excellence to boot.

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Gus, your question is very timely and important. I had (gulp) 7 (yep, 7) bypasses on July 10th. In mid October, my internal medicine doc said I could go ahead and "try" shooting light loads, but he's not a shooter and I have "chickened out"...why jump the gun and have a 6 month set-back. A week later, my cardiologist said wait 6 months...January. I plan on starting with a 9# + weighted 1100 (forend & buttstock jury rigged with lead inserts) and 3/4 or 7/8 oz. loads. I also had a new R.A.D. system installed on my Browning XT 32" regular trap gun to use after the 1100. I had a Beretta Parallel Target a couple of years ago with a Beretta recoil reducer, but sold it after realizing it seemed to recoil more than 1100s, but that is just me. I know it ain't fun waiting for the time to pass to get back in shooting. Keep me posted...I'll do the same. Best Regards, Ed

19. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

hi gus,last year i had a spinal surgery c4/5 5/6, and i did everthing that the surgeon said to do and after six month of wearing the neck brace and a bone growth stimulater he released me, and said i could anything wanted to do. i remember being in his office when he took the neck brace off and boy wasi scared as he put a titanium plate w/ 6 screws and cut my hip bone to use as i smoke he could not use a cadaver bone, well i was locked up for awhile as istill felt like i was wearing the brace i think they call it atrophy i bought a gooey comb for my mx2000 and bought a bunch of the winchester 26 gram low noise low recoil shells and had one of my buddys stand next to me as i was scared shitless as i did not want to drop my gun or have it hurt so much that i could not to bear the pain, no problem w/ recoil at all and little by little have worked up to shooting any load i want, the only problem i had was with my arms and shoulders as i have not usedjthose muscles in a while and have had to work up to shooting a lot of targets so my advice is just wait and see how you feel before spending a lot of money as you may not have to best of luck steve

20. gus

gus Member

Vern,
    you look like you had 2 levels done and the hardware is similar to mine. I had C5 through 7 done June this year but am still in the same pain as I had before surgery. I am probably being overly optimistic thinking I can shoot in January. Only 2 months for you, I am jealous !
    My surgeon doesn't tell me much in the 5 minutes he gives me in my follow up visits, except that "if it hurts don't do it" ........

Ed,

Thanks for your input, I also have concerns about starting back to soon and then having a setback. The problem as you know is you get bored sitting around and just want something to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
softest shooting guns

softest shooting trap