1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Serial Number Browning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jerry109999, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerry109999

jerry109999 TS Member

I am having a hard time dating the following and if you could help I would appreciate it.

Browning 12 GA Superposed Special Steel 2 3/4" Browning Arms St. Louis, MO & Montreal, Made in Belgium. Serial Number 7883 S7 Diana Grade Cannot see the engraver name without a magnifying Glass but it is signed.

Could somebody help with the year and also let me know if it is a salt wood gun and approximate value if you know. The gun is a round knob and I think long tang but not 100% how to tell if it is short of long.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the Browning web site to help you date your Superposed. Bill Malcolm

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is a link to Art's Gunshop with videos regarding the salt wood Brownings. Sorry, I can't help with your other questions. Bill Malcolm

4. philk

philk Member

S7 indicates 1967. Long tang would be the metal from the trigger guard extending most of the way down the grip while short tang ends at the rear of the trigger guard. Most guns of that year should be flat knob but round knob is not unusual as they were switching.

You can get a quick indication of salt wood by pulling out the butt plate screws and checking them.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your gun was made during the salt wood years, 1966 to 1972. As far as value, the long tang, round knob configuration is the most desired. HMB

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Two issues confronting you... (1) Saltwood year (2) High Grade. If I recollect my reading, the high grades were mostly affected as there was a shortage of better grade wood which prompted Browning to use salt to dry wood faster to meet demand...

Can anyone confirm that thought?!

Jay

7. philk

philk Member

Very good article on this at Arts web sight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning salt gun serial numbers

browning saltwood serial numbers
browning superposed serial numbers
browning superposed serial numbers 1967
what year was browning superposed sweet sixteen serial number 2321v72 made