1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Rifle actions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ricks1, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

What do you want to pay? A win pre 64 model 70 will be around $4000 You can get a CZ in that and they are a very good rifle They will run you around $1000
    Look at there web site at the Safari Magnum

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A Remington 700 long action with a magnum bolt face will work. You should also consider the types of triggers and stocks that are available. HMB

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

win1911sl,

HMB is correct. The bolt face diameter must be "magnum" sized which is the same for all Weatherbies, 375 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 7MM Rem Mag, etc. The receiver needs to to be the same length as the Weatherby mags, the 375 H&H, etc.

Mauser 98 receivers can be lengthened but many of these mods weaken the action. There are controlled-round-feed post-'64 Mod 70's and Rem 700 actions that are set up for the magnum length. I also believe some of the CZ actions are of the proper length.

The H&H round is a fine old round and for nostalgia purposes alone is worth building a custom rifle for. However, ballistic-wise, the 300 Win Mag is more powerful and will fit in a standard length action and brass will cost less to buy.

All depends on motives. Building a custom rifle is a personal venture not a decision based on economics.

HBT

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If I were to build another thirty caliber magnum rifle, the old H&H round is among the best and most accurate. There were a few new Model 70 Winchesters in this caliber. I had one in the late 80's.

Buy a quantity of brass, I would say 1000 rounds.

I would want a true game rifle on a 98 Mauser type action. The Magnum Ruger is among the best. A 26" barrel will generate the ballistics that made this classic a world class cartridge.

For a bench gun, the Rem 700 with a 28" target barrel is the Gold Standard. If this is to be a "dream rifle", a Wichita action might be the ticket.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

In 1996 Remington produced the 700 classic in 300 H & H. With no extra work the Classic is a beautiful gun. Buy one in 300 H & H on Guns America or gunbroker Add your custom made stock and still have less than $2000 in a fantastic firearm (that's without scope of course).

--- Chip King ---

6. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Look at batmachine.com they have the action you would need for the round you are wanting to use you are going to pay big bucks for a new action no matter what kind you buy. I would use a mauser action if it was me. The bolt face can be modified to fit the round you want. Good luck and get what you want not what everyone else wants.

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Your 2 issues are action length and bolt face. If you don't have one, this would be a good time to get a metallic cartridge reloading book, from Speer, Nosler, Hornady, etc. There you'll see the head size and OAL for all current cartridges. Some planning now will help a lot, make up a chart. Some "magnums" are too short & the bolt face's wrong size. OAL will basically be the "magnum" length, but bolt faces get a little trickier. You want a .532" bolt face. Some Weatherbys are .532", some are .580", and .416 Rigby is .590". If you found a used magnum Ruger 77, it's a fine rifle, good proportions and size. Phil E

8. bilm67

bilm67 TS Member

Brownell's shows both Dakota 76 actions as well as CZ actions in the magnum length which should make this an easy task. They are both great actions and it is just a matter of how much you would like to spend. Add a good douglas or shilen barrel and you should have a great rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.