1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP with Remington 58

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I took my old Remington 58 20ga Skeet gun out the other day for the first time in about 20 years and when I got home, I started to clean it....but I CAN NOT get the bolt lever out of the bolt. I mean, I tried everything. I don't remember this ever being a chore and my other 58's it just pops out easily.

Has anyone ever had this happen??

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It might be an acummulation of dirt under the ball bearing in the bolt slide. Wrap the handle with a protective cloth and pull it with a pliers. It has to come out and this may be the only way.

Doug

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

These guns had a problem with the bolt handle being too loose. Pull out the trigger, & you might find a set screw holding the handle in place. I had one like that many years ago. Joe Ongenars

4. Tron

GunDr, I was thinking the same thing, but this gun is super clean. I'll soak that area with oil and try again. I even attached a small slide hammer to the handle and STILL nothing gives.....not sure about this, I've never experieced it before.

EuroJoe, I have seen those set screws before, but this one is original, but your suggestion was a very good point.

5. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

WOW... the two I have are pretty loose. Didn't know you could fix that with a set screw... need to check that out.

6. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

My dad's 11-48 has the same problem, I think he said it did come out so he could take it apart when he got the gun new but some years later he could never get it to come out even by using a vise and hammer.

tom

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Tron maybe put it in the frezzor for awhile that will make it shrink.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/guns/craigs/?action=view┬Ąt=IMG_1857Large.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

thats what I did with mine before but im sure if it shrinks the lever then it might shrink the reciever also.

So never mind.

Fog

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Same problem with my 12 ga. Unsolved.

9. Tron

I still CAN NOT get this thing out. This is really weird. Maybe I'll try Foggy's idea and place it on top of a 3 meat pizza box. Did anyone notice that one of the meats on Foggy's pizza is chicken? Cannibal.

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Mine was stuck as well a few years ago. Gave it a little shot of PB Blaster, careful not to get it on the bluing. Waited a day, another shot and it came out. Real cruddy inside there.

Cannibal? Was the top of that old margerine tub labeled "from J. Dahmer" in Foggy's freezer?

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Foggy, now U've done it, lettin the cat outa the bag with that "skunk" grade. Jim Brown might demand sum royalties (pizza?) er sumthin for usin his "cryo" process?:) Hap

12. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Would you consider selling that old gun?

Seriously.....

13. Tron

Sorry redhawk....this is one that I wouldn't ever sell. I've always shot well with this gun and I just love the way the 58's were balanced. If you go to my website, it's the gun that's pictured with me.....kind of an old friend I guess.

14. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have a 12 ga. skeet 58 that I feel the same way about. For me the balance is perfect. Also I find it to be absolutely reliable as to funtion.....something that I cannot say about the 1100s and 1187s that I have tried.

Now boys, please don't us get to fightin about this, it is just MY OPINION is all...:)

15. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

redhawk44 ,

Interested in my Rem 58 ? ; it is/was intended for trap with a nicer set of wood and a Cutts . I don't remember the tubes I have for it . 'Tis really clean and has been used lightly . I don't have a good idea of a fair value .

If any interest , please respond to e-dress . I have no desire to expose any party to "abuse" from those who seem to delight in such antics .

Charlie Neal
    Mobile , AL

16. gunner2

gunner2 TS Member

Thought you guys could help with "what Timmey trigger group will fit a Model 58?"

Thanks!

17. gunner2

gunner2 TS Member

Trigger group?

18. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I am not at all sure, but I would not be surprised if an 1100 trigger group would fit fit in a model 58 and vice versa.

19. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I agree that the balance of my 58's are about perfect. Great quail guns in 20ga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.