1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Remington 03-A3

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dick The Shooter, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

I have a 03-A3 that has been altered some i will tell as much as i can. On dial up so no pics.

it has the orginal stock

rear sight has been removed and a 1 pc redfield scope mount installed

front site is gone but there are 2 dovetails were it would attach (i think)

bore is shiny but not much rifleing left

this gun must of been in cosmleen (i can't spell)for a long time the stock is dull and feels oily

bolt works smooth and looks good

ss# is 3407851

My thoughts are do i

#1 leave alone clean up and but back in safe

#2 rebarrel and re stock and make it a shooter

#3 sell and just buy another gun

Thanks for any info and help

Dick The Shooter

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Right now it is an action and stock. If the barrel is unaltered you might be able to partially restore it. A fair condition 03 is going upwards of $800 but without original parts it drops off dramatically. You might be able to find an original barrel and the handguard parts and sights and restore it to both shootable and collectible condition. Depends on what you really want.
    Receiver is in the good range for shooting.

3. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

F.W.I.W., You will spend more rebarreling and restocking than you can buy a good model 700 for. If you are in love with the action go right ahead but by the time you tru the action and do the things you need to do you will have way to much money in the action alone. I have been down this road and I would not do it again..............Roger

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

IF you are really wanting to restore it, parts are available at:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2070zSPRINGFIELD%201903A3

5. johnpe

johnpe Member

Be very careful before you do anything foolish to this rifle. As described, it appears that it may really be an O3-A4 snipers rifle. Have an expert on Springfields look at it. If it is an 03-A4 it is worth a bunch of money in unaltered condition. The O3-A4's had serial numbers in this range and the actions are marked O3-A3. They come with a standard stock (usually with a pistol grip), turned down bolt, no front or rear sights. The rear sight is replaced with a Redfield Jr. bridge mount. The front sight and band were never installed and the finish on the barrel is the same as the rest of the barrel. I've owned one that I bought from the Army in the 1960's. I was told that only about 20,000 were made.

6. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

WOW Thanks for all the input

Were would i find a expert to look at it for me??

Dick

7. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Dick.....If you can read the logo on the forward ring, it's an 03-A4. The logo was offset so it could be read after the Redfield Junior mount was installed.

Jere

8. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

Yes the U.S. Remington model 03-A3 is upside down on the left side of the reciver

The gun looks unaltered just no sights

Thanks

Dick

9. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

"not much rifling left"

Dick, the look of the bore viewed from through the receiver with the naked eye may be deceiving with 03-A3's and 03-A4's. The barrels were either 4 groove or 2 groove. My 03-A3 has 2 lands and 2 grooves, equal in width, and give a very unique view.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

2 groove will look like no rifling. Leave that alone, it may be just fine

A true "no rifling" situation will have an ugly barrel, not shiny.

regards

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I restored one a few years ago. It had been Bubba'd: stock cut and some weird antler pistol grip thing set on it. The receiver sights were gone too. I bought a stock, new rear sight, new front blade, barrel bands, stacking/sling swivel and a few assorted screws and such. I bought the gun for $100 even and put another $200-250 in parts into it. It looks and shoots like new. I like everything about it except that zero is at about 200 yards using surplus ammo. I know there were differing height blades but i can't seem to find anything other than stock.

12. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

The serial number on that gun makes it a little earlier than my Remington 03A3 from March '43. Possibly too early for a two groove barrel to be correct/original to the rifle (my rifle has a 4 groove barrel). Original poster, the barrel date should clearly marked on the the top of the barrel, behind the muzzle. What is it?

~Michael

13. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

The date on the barrel is 3 - 44

thanks

Dick

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You have a great shooter, plus maybe a collector piece.

I have one with the same date, bought it through the DCM almost 50 years ago.

Back then I sporterized it with a thumbhole stock and 3x9 scope... it is a tack driver...under an inch at 100 yards...with just about anything you want to feed it. Look down the muzzle end, it should have a 4 groove barrel.

15. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

If you go to Gun Broker and ck this auction it is just like mine

Auction # 120370952

it is a 2 groove barrel

Thanks

Dick

16. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

3-44 would be a two groove barrel, assuming it's a Remington barrel (will say RA over the date). If it says SC (Smith Corona) over the date, is might be four groove. Since it's from '44, it certainly isn't the barrel the rifle left the factory with.

The reciever is possibly that of an 03A4. According to this http://vishooter.home.att.net/RA4.txt there are 03A4s with serial numbers lower than your rifle's.

~Michael

17. GRR

GRR TS Member

Remember back in the early 60's the NRA sold weapons cheap.......1903's $12.00 and you got 3 of them, $20.00 for M-1 Carbines and M1911 .45 pistols each.

Gary

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Years ago K-Mart would have 03-A3,s in a pile $25.00 .

19. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Mash on the link.

20. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

Hey guys Thanks for all the info.

Dick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.