1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help with Rem 1100 project

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have a Rem 1100 waterfowl model with a 30 " barrel. The gun was purchased by my dad in the late 60's and only shot 3 or 4 times. (virtually new condition). Is it possible to convert it into a trap gun for shooting singles? Can I change out the rib? Can I buy a barrel with a raised rib. I looks like I might be able to find a Monte Carlo stock or put on an add-on cheek piece. Even though the gun is in near new condition, local gun dealers say that it is an obsolete model and not worth much. What are some of the issues I should be thinking about regarding doing something with this shotgun?
    Your help is appreciated.

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have a Rem 1100 waterfowl model with a 30 " barrel. The gun was purchased by my dad in the late 60's and only shot 3 or 4 times. (virtually new condition). Is it possible to convert it into a trap gun for shooting singles? Can I change out the rib? Can I buy a barrel with a raised rib. I looks like I might be able to find a Monte Carlo stock or put on an add-on cheek piece. Even though the gun is in near new condition, local gun dealers say that it is an obsolete model and not worth much. What are some of the issues I should be thinking about regarding doing something with this shotgun?
    Your help is appreciated.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the gun has sentimental value, then the best thing to do is make changes that are reversible, so you can put it back to original condition.

Adding a trap barrel and a monte carlo buttstock would not make permanent changes.

You can run a WTB ad here asking for these items.

As for the dealers saying it's not worth much, well, take that with a grain of salt. Dealers buy low and sell high, and generally they pay only 50% of what they think they can sell a gun for.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

There is really very little difference between a "trap" 1100 barrel and a field barrel. For example, I have simply put a monte carlo stock on my 12 ga. 30" full choked barrel and shot trap. The stock gives you the higher point of impact. Look for a trap stock...straight or monte carlo. Best Regards, Ed

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

You can find rib barrels on gun broker / auction arms for about $150

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

You can get a very nice 1100 trap stock for very little money from Wenig if you order their new American trap stock. I paid $90 for such a stock that was unfinished and uncheckered, and needed a very small amount of fitting to attach it to my 1100. I was very satisfied with the result.

And if you want to spend more, you can get Wenig to

1. fully fit it to your gun

2. add a recoil pad

3. checker the stock

4. put a finish on the stock

5. upgrade the wood.

Each of these options adds to the cost, naturally, but you can wind up with a fully finished product, if that's what you want.

This is the second stock I bought from Wenig (the other was a ladies' stock for a Beretta 391 which was fully finished) and I have no difficulty in recommending them.

As to raising the rib, try Keensights in Bakersfield, CA. They have raised the ribs on a couple guns for me, with excellent results at reasonable cost. At the moment they are putting a raised rib on my 1100 trap barrel.

Ted K.

7. RJ

RJ TS Member

On my 1100's they both are pretty much standard basic hunting stocks. But I was able to find a raised rib on a barrel, one that was used but it was built by the factory. It's a 30" full and shoots great for me at handycap. I also shoot a 30" Mod low vent rib at handycap and 16 yards along with a 26" it's the barrel that came with the gun when I bought it new. I use a Carelson extended choke tube improved modified. For 16's on up to the 22 yard line. Anything longer I go to one of the other two barrels. And that depends on how the wind is blowing, how cold it is. And if it has been raining. Or even hot and dry with the sun shining. As you might know it does this a lot here in Az.
    Got it down ot a science you might say. RJ IN AZ.

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Another advantage to the magnum model is the magnum action sleeve is a bit heavier which will somewhat reduce recoil.

9. kiot98

kiot98 TS Member

Check out the remington country store. I bought a nice 1187 monte carlo stock for my 1100 for $39 plus shipping. It is located in the closeout section.

10. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thank you all for your very informative replies. You all were very helpful. I will get going with my conversion and will update you all and how it turned out.
    Thanks again for this great forum!

John

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

The Lewis stocks for the 1100 are great. Adjustable comb and it took me 10 minutes to install...

Bruce

12. DanLee

DanLee Member

Let me suggest that you try shooting trap with the duck gun as is. I have the same model and use it for winter league trap. The fact that the 3" magnum barrel probably won't cycle the action with normal trap loads is a plus, since you won't have to worry about hitting the guy on your right with empties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.