1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with reload

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

I saw the recent thread on here regarding favorite reloads w/STS hulls. I am just getting back into reloading using AA hulls, and wondered what you shooters are coming up with for either 1 ounce or 1 and 1/8 ounce loads, around 1175 to 1200 fps. Powder/ wad recommendations? I would like to use the same load both at 16s and handicap, if there is such thing. Thanks for input. Too many powder choices out there.

2. pheasantsgalore

Both the red/grey hulls I have, have " AA HS " stamped on the brass. What does the "HS" designation mean ?

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

AA Hull, W209 Primer, 18.5grns Clays, Windjammer 1 1/8oz Wad, 1 1/8oz
    of 7 1/2 or 8's.

Mike

4. pheasantsgalore

Went back to look at handful of once-fired AA red hulls. Some have the HS stamped on them, some simply say 12 GA Winchester AA. Is there any difference in the interior design/volume of the hulls, or can they all be reloaded in same order?

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Pheasantsgalore,

I shoot the old style AA shells and the new style AA hulls. Have been shooting them exclusively for 6 years now and just love my reloads compared to factory loads. You need to be careful which wad you use for the new style AA hulls. They have a little cup in the bottom of the hull that will cause problems when using the wrong wad. I recommend what I've been using, and both of these can be purchased at Recobs Target shop online. My first choice would be to use a Winchester wad for a Winchester hull. Makes sense right? There is also an equivalent replacement wad made by Claybuster that is the exact same size as the Winchester wad. So you can use either one successfully. These wads can be used for 1 ouce up to 1 1/8 ounce loads.

My loads are:

Winchester wad WT12 or Claybuster CB0118-12B

Powder - Alliant Promo - 18 grains for 1 ounce load

Primer - Winchester W209 or Wolf 209. I actually prefer the Wolf primer over the Winchester. They don't seem to be quite as hot.

Good shooting and reloading,

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.