1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help with Red Dot load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Captain Smoke, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

I have been trying to work up a load with Red Dot powder. After shooting them through my chronograph have found big difference from published data. Just wondered what other people were using for 1 1/8 oz loads for both 1145 and 1200 FPS loads. I am using AA old style hulls, Winchester 209, and WAA12 wads. Thanks in advance, Trent

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

How much powder are you using? For a 1 oz. load I was using 18.0 of Red Dot and got 1260 on my chronograph. Since then dropped to 17.4, but have not chronographed them yet. Using Red Winchester and Green STS with Chedite primer and Spolar wad. Fred

3. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

Today I shot four loads ten shots each then threw out the highest and the lowest.

18.0=1240
    17.5=1223
    16.8=1154
    15.8=1119
    again this was with 1 1/8, WAA12, win209 in old style AA cases

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Just remember optical chronographs tend read about 30-40 fps fast for shotshell loads.

Full chokes also seem to read faster also.

Jim

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What does it matter? Shoot what ever load you like if it performs.

Think about it. If you shoot it good and can handle the recoil, who cares.

6. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

Thanks Jim, I did not know that.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Which chrono is more accurate, the mass type or the optical?

Many can argue, but the pic above does not show rogue pellets going faster than the main mass.

As was said above, if you must load to a certain speed in your particular gun, clock factory loads in your gun and match their speed. I shoot the same load I have used for years, and do not match one gun to one speed.

A full choke may increase speed, but several years ago while at the club with an optical chrono, different barrels showed a bit of difference with the same loads.

I cannot remember which barrels were fastest, but with the same ammo, my ported 34" Unsingle Krieghoff was slower than a ported 30" Browning, both with trap type chokes. The difference in all guns shot with five shots averaged was less than 50 fps. Ammo varied about 30 fps. The factory fodder with the least variation was the Federal Top Gun, a surprise to all of us.

I cannot remember more details, surely a sign of old age. LOL

8. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I have been using 16.4 gr of reddot for about 30 yrs and am very happy with the results! I have never chronographed them but they pattern well and smoke any target that I hit! If it doesnt smoke it was me not the load!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.