1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with recommending my first O/U gun.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TahoeDan, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TahoeDan

TahoeDan TS Member

Hello,

I am returning to clay shooting and will be doing a mix of different types of shooting (trap 60%, skeet 15%, 5 stand 15% & sporting clays 10%). I can't currently afford to buy a specific gun for each type, so I am trying to get one gun that will do it all. I have never owned an over/under in the past just auto's and pumps. So I am asking if anyone has any recommendations for me to look into and try to track down and shoot. I am trying to keep it under $1,500 but would be willing to go a little higher if I had too. Here is the current guns that I am going to try to look at:

Browning 525 (used)
    Beretta 686 White Onyx Sporting (used)
    Beretta 686E Sporting
    SKB GC7 Sporting (new)
    SKB 85TSS Sporting (new)

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

TahoeDan

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,

The true do it all shotgun doesn't really exist, each game has its quirks. The good news is that you are considering pretty good guns. Throw the Browning XT and the Beretta 682 on you list of candidates. It may take a little looking but either of these models can be found as quality used guns at the uppper end of your budget.

Have a blast.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll suggest that since you are favoring trap games by a wide margin, you'd do better with a trap gun and hope to learn how to use it at the other games. I happen to shoot skeet, wobble, 5 stand, and sporting with my trap doubles gun using choke tubes to select a preferred choke for specific games.....Bob Dodd

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a Browning 325 w/choke tubes that I would sell for $995.00. It has an adjustable comb.
    Don

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have enjoyed good shooting with my rem 3200.

A k-32 would be a good reliable choice, but you might have to pay a little more.

I have heard good things about the Cenergy.

6. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Browning XT. Will shoot flat enough for skeet and clays and high enough for a little trap. The comb option is advised. Todd

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The newish Browning Citori XS SKEET is a wonderful all arounder with the parallel comb. Shoots just a little bit high for target floating, but not so high that skeet and sporting clays are out of the question. And with 30 inch barrels, is not just a big cumbersome trapgun. I sure like mine..

8. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

A shotgun that fits you with 30" sporting barrels, a 4-way adjustable comb & a full set of mobile chokes
    would serve you well. The adjustable comb will allow you to shoot high for trap, the chokes & the 30'barrels will have the versatility for the different games. I would suggest a used Beretta 682 for reliability & good value.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The one gun that will do it all is a Remington 1100. Get it with an adjustable comb trap stock, 28 inch target barrel with screw in chokes and a 30 inch trap barrel. And you should have a few dollars left over for ammo and range fees. Oops it is not an O/U. HMB

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with the respondents to this thread. A decent "used" 682 or XT can be had that is within your budget. I kind of side with Bob Dodd's advice; that as trap will be 60% of your shooting, you might want to consider a trap gun. A 682 or XT trap with an adjustable comb and choke tubes will allow you to shoot all the clay target disciplines. Good luck in your search. Ed

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I say go with a beretta 682 Gold E, I bought my gun as a doubles only gun. The person I bought it from used it for skeet, trap & sporting clays. All I can say it works for me. Put a PFS & shot a 69 in my first doubles game (put 3 rds thru it for POI prior). The gun is a natural.

Phil Berkowitz

12. JOND

JOND TS Member

Remington 3200. JOND

13. Lyle

Lyle Member

If you get a sporting gun without an adjustable comb you may handicap yourself a bit much with the flat shooting sporting gun as the trap target is rising. Throw in the added distance of handicap shooting and you may have to "cover" your target in trap and therefore loose sight of the target.

A Browning XT trap will work for everything you mentioned while still allowing for increased distance in handicap shooting. The sporting guys will tell you that you are handicapping yourself by shooting a trap gun for sporting clays but they are mistaken. It is really about getting that gun to shoot where you are looking and not so much about if it shoots flat enough for sporting.

Good luck and again, Browning XT trap.

Lyle

14. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would take a look at the Browning 325 that is for sale
    You can shoot all the games you want with that gun
    And when you are done with it or want to trade it the value will still be there
    The 1100 is a great gun but is a problem for any game with 2 shots if you are saving your hulls

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

For the kind of money your talking about you could find a really nice Belgiun Browning broadway in 30 or 32". When you find one in good shape their a great value.
    Joe

16. djcuda

djcuda Member

I have a very nice Citori Plus for sale.30" barrels,adj. comb,adj. rib and choke tubes.1800.00 shipped to your FFL.
    Dave

17. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dan,
    Call me today at 727 410 5212. I have several that will fill your neeeds.
    Mike Battista
    Silver Dollar Firearms

18. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

whatever gun you decide to get, may i suggest you buy a used one. quality guns like brownings, berettas, and others will tend to hold their value and most of the time, you would be able to get your money back when it is time to sell. FWIW. jm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.