1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP with rcbs rifle press

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldTrigger, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

I need help, I have a new rcbs turret press and can not get the shell holders in the ram. There is a small half round clip that should hold the shell holder in and keep it from falling out. With that wire clip removed the shell holders slide right in and out. With the clip in I can not get the shell holder past the wire clip to secure it. I have tried putting the shell holder in first but then you cannot install the clip. What in the world am I doing wrong here ? I know it should be just a snap in and a snap out thing...

Please give me ideas tonight, I am trying to finish getting it all ready to load on...

Thanks guys for any help

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

As you've found out the clip is necessary to retain the shell holder. In the past I've had success rotating the shell holder into place when it was tight. Hope this helps.

Robert

3. cp

cp TS Member

Robert is right on. That should do the trick as I remember. Good Luck

4. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Sounds like you may need a new clip .......... I would call RCBS and tell them whats going on and I am sure they will send you the part right out for free.
    RCBS number is ... 1-800-533-5000
    The people that work for RCBS are really good to work with.

5. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Certainly thank you all for the help tonight, do you think this could be a bad clip, this is a brand new press just took it out of the box. The clip is just a piece of hard wire but I sure can not get it past the clip....

Thank you for the phone number, I will try them tommorrow for sure if I can't figure it out tonight...

6. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Yes it could be the clip that is bad.

Can I ask what model press you have?

7. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Hello Rick, well sure, it is the turret press with the removable heads to hold more calibers. This should be very simple thing, I just do not see why this will not slip in.

8. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Success

Well thank everyone who gave me there input..... I just needed sometime to get away from it and think a moment... I took the wire clip out of the ram body and took my dremel sanding wheel ever so slightly to the tip of the short end of the wire. After two very gentle attempts, I reinstalled the wire and what do you know ? We have success ! the shell holders just snap right in and out like they should now...

Thanks again all for the advise

9. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Some thing was telling me that it was the clip. Happy to hear you got it. IF I was you I still call RCBS and have them send you a new clip that way you have one on hand in case the one you work on breaks.

I will be using my press here before long getting ammo ready for next year prairie dog hunt in South Dakota. I didn't go this year and I sure miss that trip.

Good luck with you press buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.