1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP WITH PRICE ON HANDGUN. S&W MODEL 19-3 .357

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80jim, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80jim

k80jim Member

I will be the first to say. I have not keep up with handguns. I have a good friend that wants to sell his Smith & Wesson Model 19-3 Nickel 6" .357 with wood grips. It has the box, extra larger walnut grips, a soft zip up carry case. It has been shot but looks good. I would guess something like 98%. Has adjustable rear but is not outlined. Not sure how old it is but has all the paper work the gun came with. Little manual with parts list, small cleaning rods and brushes. Serial # is 9k57094. Maybe someone knows about how old this is. Also what does the -3 after model number stand for. I seen different barrels and different finishes with the same numbers so not sure what it stands for. Again......I am more of a shotgun guy. Thanks again for any help you guys can give.

K80jim

2. k80jim

k80jim Member

Thanks for the info Steve

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

K-80, 27th edition blue book (2 years old). Has your gun listed at 98%-is $345 and 95%-is $300, plus add $20 for the nickle finish, and $14 for 6 inch barrel. If you have the TS,TT,TH,RR,and WO model you can add another $60. You can add what you like for the grips and case. Hope this helps you out. break-am all. Jeff

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you this gun has been fired a lot and you cannot shoot it before buying it, you should have a gunsmith check the cylinder for trueness of the chambers. It didn't take a lot of shooting with magnum ammo to "warp" the M19's chamber walls, which have the same thickness as K-frame guns in .38 Special. When that happens, ejection of fired brass becomes very difficult and progresses from requiring a glove to protect your hand to tools being needed.

After Smith & Wesson replaced the cylinder in mine the second time, I retired it in favor of a Python. The release of S&W's slightly larger L-frame .357s eliminated that concern.

Ed

5. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

A late 1975 gun. Tough to evaluate without a good digital or seeing the gun in person......but that is a solid $450 to $475 gun even out here in financially deppressed Montana. Hopefully the box matches the serial on the gun and the grips You mentioned are the period Targets. Check the grips to see if they are stamped to the serial of the gun.

No offense to the poster but I've NEVER seen a K frame Smith with "swelled chamber " issues. And I've been around Smith revolvers as a shooter and a collector for thirty five years. A non concern IMHO.

FN in MT

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

All the K frame revolvers are susceptible to the forcing cone splitting especially when shooting the 125 grain 357 magnum loads. I've also seen the frame stretch which opens the barrel gap and will cause them to spit lead. They will wear, get out of time, and just generaly get beat up from the magnum loads. They are just to light for a steady diet of 357 magnum loads which is the reason for the L frame 686 series. The Python is made on a larger 41 magnum sized frame. All this said is no reason to shy away from a K frame in good shape, they shoot great and will last as long as you stick to milder loads for most of your shooting. I will say I have never seen a swelled cylinder that didn't completely fail. Ross

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I believe I have considerable experience with the Model 19 having owned several dating back to the late 60s. It is true, verified by the factory smiths, that the M19 will not tolerate a steady diet of magnum loads. It was designed to be used with target loads for practice and mag loads for carry. I had one that I shot more than 4,000 rounds through using 12 grains of 2400 and a 158 grains Keith style slug and mag primers. It remained tight until i sold it at the 4,000+ mark. That gun was a 1974 6" model. Then I also have a 6" nickle gun from 1977 that shot loose on that same diet. I also had run several hundred factory magnum loads through it, many of which were the light 125 grain loads. S&W found two cylendars out of spce (though not dangerous) and the beginning of a crack at the forcing cone. They set the barrel back a few thread and tightened up the action. I had them add a factory trigger tune and the price came to $125 or so. The early guns have pinned barrels and counter-bored cylenders. These things are not available any more and cannot be readily duplicated. Thus, any replacement of these is not going to be exactly the same. So, I now shoot 38 sp loads in mine and carry mags only for serious defense work.

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Back in the 1970's, I knew one FBI agent, and several county police officers who experienced problems with Model 19 forcing cones. These were issue guns, and were replaced. Most officers I knew kept 125gr loads for duty, but used .38 +P for practice.

Several county police officers went for the Python in 4" and 6" barrels. Some even opted for Model 27's, even though they were bigger and heavier. Eventually they replaced them with the Model 39 and Model 59 S&W 9mm.

My Python is 30 years old, and doesn't get as many rounds through it anymore, but it's still the revolver by which all others are judged.

Best,
    Dennis

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Fired case extraction on mine would start to become "sticky" and progress through "hard on the hand" until tapping cases with a brass punch and leather mallet was required. S&W told me the condition was common when hotter loads were used more than very occasionally. I shot 100 to 150 rounds of 148-grain wadcutter loads each week in PPC competition and practice with maybe a cylinder-full of magnum ammo thrown in (I also hunted woodchucks with it when the alfalfa was high) and extraction would start getting sticky after 15 months or so. After about 18 months, it was time for a new cylinder.

As others have said, the Model 19 was intended to be a very nice carry weapon that didn't have the bulk and size of the N-frame. It served that purpose very well but owners who shot them a lot and used them for hunting experienced this condition. S&W repaired mine under warranty both times, the second time after about three years of ownership, so it obviously was a condition about which they were aware.

By way of comparison, I had an 8-3/8" Model 14 I also used for varmint hunting and ran almost nothing but hot 110-grain handloads through it for many years with absolutely no sticky extraction concerns. The pressures created by .357 Magnum fodder, especially 125-grain loads, were just more than a lengthened .38 Special cylinder could absorb.

Ed

10. k80jim

k80jim Member

A thanks to everyone who took the time to post the info they had. It's great to have a site to quickly get the info you are looking for. I will check the grips that came with the gun. They are off it now so, that's easy. I did not know they put the Ser. # on the grips.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1977 s&w model 19-3 nickel 357 mag price

s&w model 19-3 for a carry gub

smith wesson k-frame model 19-3 nickel cylinder and crane