1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I bought a topsingle to shoot singles with but it shoots too flat for me with the beads in a fig 8 and I have a combo set so I don't want to have to shim the comb every time I change barrels so I am going to have a fixed rib put on it.I shimmed the comb up to the poi that I want but would like some input on the poi's before I send it off.I've read all the threads on poi but am still not sure so both patterns were shot at 13 yds with the bead directly under the target(mod choke) the right one is with the beads in a fig 8 the left one is with the comb shimmed up,what would you call the poi on each.Thx Jerry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Shouldn't there be a clear hole in the paper when shooting from 13 yards?

Bryan

3. jdsfarms

Do you mean from the wad?I was shooting 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz #8 top guns and apparently the wad was peeling off before it got there.Jerry

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Depends on the choke, a full would make a bigger hole. But this does look very open for 13 yards, what choke were you using?

5. jdsfarms

Briley modified DT-10 optima bore

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

80/20 and 50/50. HMB

7. Calkidd

A while back Neil posted a link to a .pdf file that explains POI and the proper way to get it done. I did a search, but I can't find it.

Bryan

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Draw a horizontal line through the center of the hand drawn target. Take two different colored magic markers or Sharpies and mark each pellet hole as you count. Don't count pellets that are right on the horizontal line. When you complete the count of the pellets above the line, write down the number above the line. Then when you complete the count below the line, write the number below the line. Add the two numbers together to get the total number of shot. Divide the top number by the total number and the bottom number by the total number and you will have your answer. Martinpicker

9. Habib

Habib Member

hmb is right

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jerry, pattern that outfit at the distance you'd normally break a clay? Your pattern at 13 yards looks mighty sparce for shooting even singles to me!

Hap

11. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Right target demonstrates a flat shooting POI. Left target shows a pattern high with the comb raised ( and some rib gap showing between the two beads?). Presumably you want the gun to pattern like the left target but with a figure 8 bead and no rib showing?

Is the gun a 12 or a 410? Something is not right to show so few holes if a 12ga, and at 13 yards you should have a much, much tighter group. Reread Neil’s posts here about 12 months ago, or longer.

The large hole not found in the target mentioned above would not be the wad but the pellet charge at such a close distance.

12. jdsfarms

Seems to be the opinion that that choke is pretty open but it will make inkspots out of 16 yd targets,here is another pattern for comparison off the same pattern board,a bt-99 with an IM choke on the left and an 1100 bigbore barrel fixed full on the right,seems like you seldom chip a 16yd target with it either inkspot or miss.Jerry
    [​IMG]

13. jdsfarms

And I went and measured the distance to my pattern board with a tape measure it's exactly 39ft.Jerry

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jerry, a couple of things. You need to use factory premium ammo. STS, AA, or Gold medal. You just have to. I recommend light 7 1/2's but 8's work,

Then don't draw targets to shoot at. Just draw crosses and shoot at the intersection. That's the only way for us to tell where it shoots.

Otherwise think hard about what you are going to do before you spend any money on a rib. It's a lot more complicated than it looks and you could very easily still end up with a gun you need to change the comb on.

Neil

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Put the FULL in

16. Calkidd

Exaclty, don't put too much thought into the choke. Go with the full and keep it there for all yardages.

Listen to Neil he knows a thing or two about these things. Read the article that Neil posted. You'll see some of his POI results and you'll see how it blows a hole in the paper. I am not sure why yours is not patterning like this.

Bryan

17. jdsfarms

Neil that's why I asked first,Thanks for the link I'll look at it and shoot another set of patterns and post them tomorrow.Jerry

18. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

That whole figure 8 thing has probably lost as many shooters as everything else put together. Dont look at the beads when your shooting. Also, why would you want any shot to be below your target? Harlan mentioned that at a clinic and I didnt have an answer, raised the poi center to about 14 inches high and never looked back.

19. Habib

Habib Member

bcnu, "why would you want any shot to be below your target?" I find comfort in having at least a few pellets below the target. It is too easy to shoot above the target. We can't all be Dr Longshot.

20. jdsfarms

My new patterns as per Neils instuction,one on the right is with fig 8 left is with comb shimmed up,full choke sts 1 oz 8 shot was the only premium shells I had.Jerry
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.