1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with pitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbifulco, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Does any one have any tips on removing rust/pitting from an 1100 reciever? I just picked this gun up for $200 so no big deal if I need to get the whole thing reblued, just curious if any one has had any success with a do it yourself method.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

jbifulco_2008_03038.jpg

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

A little oil and fine steel wool will make it look a little better but removing the pits will require a blue job.

Pat Ireland

3. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Joe ,

You might consider having the receiver nickel plated ; some shops will plate a receiver quite economically IF you'll take ALL the parts off . Do what prep work you want (like bead-blasting the top of the receiver etc) so that all the shop has to do is plate it .

Charlie

4. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Thanks guys. I stripped the old bluing with some Birchwood Casey and have been working on the pits with some 320 git and steel wool. It looks pretty good in the white and I am thinking of keeping it that way.

If I do leave it in the white, is there anything I can use to protect the bare metal?

Joe

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

clear coat

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get some instant blue and apply it with a pad of 0000 steel wool. Make sure you get all the oil off the receiver before you start. Use some rubbing alcohol before you start to make sure. After applying a few coats of the bluing and you have the color you want apply some WD-40 to protect the finnish. HMB

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Left mine in the white...applied paste wax and am very careful to wipe it down after using it...no rust problems, but lots of favorable comments about how good it looks. Best Regards, Ed

8. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Ed,

I think I am going to leave mine in the white also, I like the way it looks. I am a little worried about the bare metal. I will put a coat of wax on it and see how I do.

jbifulco_2008_03039.jpg

Thanks.

Joe

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Wow that looks great.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Depending on the orientation of the sun to the traps at the clubs you normally shoot you may want to purchase a can or two of either Birchwood-Casey or RIG sight blackening spray. The glare from a receiver can be the devil to shoot through.

MK

11. JEB

JEB Active Member

I do not believe that you can nitride a Model 1100 receiver. If my memory is correct, they are aluminum. (If they are steel, I stand corrected.) There is a commercial process however, Martin Tuff Cote, that should do the trick. I have usually seen it in an off green, but it should be available in black.

JEB

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 1100 is a folded steel receiver.. No problem bluing..

13. guido

guido Member

All right I am a smart a--, but I would say don't pitt into the wind.

Guido

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remove pitting from receiver