1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with pistol selection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fortwtlkqa, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

I know that purchasing a pistol is like buying a trap gun. You want to find one that fits and you like.
    I guess my questions are:
    9mm or 40?
    Any models that you would recommend to start looking at?
    Any models to stay away from?

I'll be using it for occasional weekend shooting at an outdoor range. Possibly carry it in the Car(once my lifetime permit gets here). I'm not looking for something to keep on me at all time. Just something fun to shoot and if I need it for protection enough stopping power to get the job done. I'm planning on staying in the $450-500 range.

Any thoughts, opinions, or advice would really be helpful.

Thanks,

Curt Kinsey

2. oz

oz Active Member

glock 40 then 9mm

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Go to a range where you can rent and shoot different guns. Glock, XD's, M&P's, H&K's are all nice.

Only YOU can make up your mind as to what feel best. As you said, they are just like trap guns, what everyone owns are the best to them.

I personally own XD's and XDm's in 9mm.

Jerbear

4. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Curt..............GLOCK 34..9mm...Practical/Tactical......very nice. Do the trigger over to a Competition 3.5......This gun is new to me and after the trigger job we went to an indoor range. A friend with me who was on a police force wanted to try it. I placed 6 rounds in the clip; pushed the target out to 25 feet and he PLACED 6 SHOTS in a two inch bullseye....Did I?? helllllno, but I am learning to shot it. Gun came with 2 17round clips.....RUN'EM

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

S&W M&P Compact in 357SIG. Buy a .40 barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel if you want, and get three pistols for the price of about two. Put an Apex sear in it and you'll have a very nice pistol.

Folks will claim that 357SIG is hard to come by, but during the recent drought it was easier to find than other calibers. The M&P is a very nice shooter. I like it better than my XDm.

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

9mm for me. Sounds like mostly range time and you will spend a lot less on ammo with the 9mm. When you put it in the car, load it up with personal defense rounds. The ammo savings will pay for the gun over time.

Bob

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I like my Taurus "Judge" it fires 45 Colt or .410 shotgun ammo. Federal makes a 000 .410 Buckshot load for personal defense. Skeet loads work well on Red Squirrels close up as there's not much pattern with a 2-1/2" bbl. They are a little heavy but recoil is OK. The .410 deer slug has the most recoil. They come in SS or Blue at around $525-575 depending where you buy it. Larry Evans

8. Landshark

Landshark Member

Springfield XD-9 for me. Accurate and goes bang everytime.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hard to go wrong with the XD or Glocks.

9mm if ammo cost is important and you will not be reloading.
    .40 if you want more zip.

My carry gun is a Kahr CW9 and it shoots very well. It can be loaded with +P+ 9mm to increase its punch. I use +P Gold Dots.

One advantage of the CW is that it has a "normal" barrel and I can shoot lead bullets. Makes for very inexpensive practice. Brass $20/1000 (or free - lots of 9mm around), primers ($35/1000), lead bullets ($50/1000), powder $10/thousand = $95 to 115 per thousand. I am loading for under $5/box due to bulk buys when prices were better.

Don Verna

10. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

If you want a 9mm for a car gun, you can't get better than a Browning HiPower with a trigger job and the magazine disconnector removed. John Browning's final handgun design.

....Paul

11. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Don't overlook Walther's PPS in 9 or 40.Slim,well designed,shoots well.

12. wlc

wlc Member

I have two S&W M&Ps, one full size and one compact. Both have been completely reliable. The ability to change the back strap to customize fit to your hand is nice. If carry is not a concern, the full size is more comfortable for me and easier to shoot.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How about a 4" S&W L frame revolver M586, M686, in .357? Well within your price range and will outshoot any of the 'bottom feeders' mentioned. Great fun to shoot with .38 special target ammo and plenty of power for social purposes when loaded with full throttle .357 mags.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have and prefer my Glock 17-9mm ... I also have a S&W Model 459-9mm High Cap. that is a really nice piece but I prefer to carry the Glock because it fits my hand like it was made for it and always goes boom when its supposed to ... I carry jacketed hollow points for personal protection and buy round nose (cheap) new jacketed stuff from Wally World for practice and poking holes in paper ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

DONT get a glock you will be sorry they are only a carry gun if you are half good 4in groups and no cast.. Look at Sig
    If for carry NO auto S&W 38 snub

16. wproct

wproct Member

I really like 9mm. Light recoil and cheap ammo. A person can pick up a 3rd generation Smith fairly reasonable. Say a 5906, all steel, built like a tank, great reliable range pistol and proven design by law enforcement.

17. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

9mm for me, I sold all my 40's after I saw 3 people in police shootings and the minimal damage done----shot placement is everthing and the 40 did not make up for the poor placement. The guy who get plugged through the heart, center neck or head will not know the difference.
    So again, only 9mm for me for cost factor and today's high performance ammo.

18. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Carried a Beretta 92F on duty for several years. I was also an instructor. Good gun and very accurate for an out of the box gun. Never had any problems with mine or any of the weapons in use when I was instructing. One exception to that is a very occasional stovepipe on the last round in the mag. Of course if you have to reload after 15 rounds you already have your butt in a very small crack.

19. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Ruger now has a SR9C, small and compact, in 9mm very nice..

Trap-4

20. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

I appreciate all the advice. I'll call around tomorrow to different shops and see if any of them rent guns so I can try different one's.
    I like the thought of the 9mm ammo being cheaper and more available. I like the power of the 40. Just a lot to wrap my mind around.
    Thanks again for everyone's input, it's all very helpful to me.
    Anyone from the Fort Wayne,IN Area have any recommendations on who to talk to? My buddy recommended Ed Hershey.

Thanks!

Curt Kinsey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.