1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

****Help with Perazzi problem****

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PhillyD, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

My extractor has been sticking. I have taken it apart(disasembled) and cleaned it and have cleaned the forearm parts.The extractor was not that dirty but the forearm metal parts had alot of grease which I cleaned but did not take the forearm parts off the wood. I just cleaned them still assembled.The extractor worked fine for about 20 rounds and then started sticking again. But not all the time.Just every 3rd or 4th shot, then it would stick and free itself after a couple of shots.Anyone have any idea on what I can do to remedy this problem.There were no burrs on the extractor when I cleaned it. The gun is a Grand American Special. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Phil Del Monti

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Zardozforty is possibly correct. The problem may not be the extractor. It could be the shells. Try dry firing the gun and also try some shells with brass heads.

Pat Ireland

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Taking a guess at what you mean by "sticking", do you mean that the empty shell doesn't eject correctly when you break open the gun?

I suspect the problem is not the shell itself and that the chambers are actually pretty loose; at least that's the way mine is. Assuming you're using factory shells, I would guess you can dump out the hull by upending the gun. Sometimes reloads crush during crimping, but that's a pretty obvious problem that you wouldn't be posting about here.

I thought I had the same problem, but it turned out to be a timing problem where the shell ejected too soon and bounced off the receiver as the gun opened. In fact, the ejector was working too well. The timing can be adjusted by a gunsmith, and it was no big deal. Stu Wright fixed mine in a jiffy at the US Open with a flat file while I waited.

To see if you have the problem, put in an empty hull and break the gun open very slowly. You'll see the hull bounce against the receiver if this is the problem.

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Do you mean that the ejector doesn't even try to kick out the shells and stays flush with the rest of the barrel? Or does it lift the shells out so you can pick them out by hand?

If either case it is probably a timing issue. If it ejects if you really crank the gun open hard (not recommended)then it definitely is a timing issue.

5. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Jerry, we're kinda talking about the same thing, but I'm talking about the hull ejection process after the gun fires. Sounds like you're talking about lifting unfired shells.

6. Jerry944t

No Bob, I had the same problem with fired or unfired shells and it's the wire rod that activates the ejector. Giacomo fixed it in less time than it took me to remove the stock.

In my case, once in a while, the ejector only lifted the shell up and didn't eject. It extracted but didn't eject, in other words.

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Extractor or ejector?

8. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Jerry944t That is my problem. It lifts the shell but does not eject it.I took the rod out and cleaned it when I cleaned all parts the first time. Again it worked for a a few shells and then started doing the same thing you discribed.
    I have been shooting the steel based shells for Several months and never had a problem till now.Jerry do you know what Giacomo did to correct the problem? I will take it apart again and clean the rod and see what happens.Like I said I did that already but I'll try it again. If that does'nt work I'll have to bring it to a gunsmith.Thanks for everyones input on this problem Hopefully another "Rod Cleaning" will correct my problem. Thanks Philly D

9. lighthouse

lighthouse Member

When you take the rod out to clean it, also clean the hole that it runs through, then straighten the rod out, they usually have a slight bend in them,
    this will add a little length to it, so it can trip the ejector. I hope this helps.

George Olsen

10. Jerry944t

By your sign on name do you live in Philly? If so where do you shoot? I live in the western suburbs and shoot at Lower Providence, West Chester, Delaware County Sportsman's, etc.

You can clean the ejector all you want but the problem is the two round wire pieces that run the length of the receiver and actuate the ejector. They have a bend in them and Giacomo straightened them slightly.

If you are in this area I can help you out or put you in touch with someone locally who worked with Giacomo. It's a simple, no cost fix once you remove the stock so you can get to the innards of the action. It takes very little tweaking to fix that particular problem.

Jerry

11. Jerry944t

George beat me to it!

12. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Jerry, No I don't live in Philly. Its just a nic name that I picked up because of my real name Phillip Del Monti. Hence, "Philly D". I'm from Ohio. Jerry thanks for your offer to help me fix it personally. Class Gesture!!
    I think it is fixed now. I was at the club last night and a Gunsmith shooting there took a look at it He tightened a piece in the forearm and it has not malfunctioned since. I'm hoping it stays that way. Once again thanks to all who tried to help. Philly D

13. Jerry944t

Good deal Phillip. I hope it continues to work well. If not then you know what to do.

Cheers,

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.