1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP WITH PAD GRINDING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ddrsuz, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I am trying to grind down and round the ends of my wife's recoil pad, but I keep getting small cracks or burrs in the rubber as I grind it. What can I use to end up with a really smooth surface when I am done? Luckily, I am not down to the stock yet, so I can still do some more grinding based on your suggestions.

Dennis

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

When you say grinding I assume you are using a power tool or sander. You may be getting it to hot. If you are close use a hand sanding block and try different grits.

Lots of previous threads on this subject. Do a search.

One person said that freezing the pad helps.

Best of luck.....Gerald

3. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I am down to the point where I am working with 300+ grit and by hand, but the little cracks keep happening, I may have to go to the freeze scenario. I didn't realize we had been thru this before, I will try to do a search,
    thanx.

d

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

here are some old timer secrets. first of all you need some type of sander with a high enough rpm. terminator pads especially need a high rpm to grind. when eveything looks good and your ready to place it on the gun, spray the sides of the pad with wd40. take the back of the sandpaper and rub the pad down, it will eventually shine and put a glaze on it like a new pad. obviously don't do this were the pad hits your shoulder.
    steve balistreri

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

What brand of pad is it and how old??

Carol Lister

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dennis---As Shootlow said DON'T do any grinding with the pad on the gun. I use a stationary belt sander changing the grit of the belt to fine grit as i get closer to the final fit. It helps to test fit many times thru the process. I've never tried the WD40 trick but i will the next time. I have found the Kick Eze pads turn out looking really nice.-----Matt

7. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

CAROL:
    It is a Terminator pad and is brand new, just had the gun and the pad installed to fit my wife, but didn't want to drive 2 hours to have this little detail cleaned up. I am down to the final little tweaks in terms of getting the shape just right, but would like it to look brand new without these little, tiny splits in the rubber when done.

d

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Throw the pad in a freezer for a while first when grinding.

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Steve:
    Ironic that you would mention that, we were going to try her micro emory board or whatever it is called..........supposedly really super fine emory. I will give that a try tonite while hanging out by the fire.

d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

grinding down recoil pad