1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with P/W Models

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tudurgs, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

I have an 800B, and am thinking of upgrading to another P/W. What are the differences/improvements with the 900 and 950 Elite? I assume my 800 bushings will work in the newer machines? Thanks,

John Dallas

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The 900/950s use a center shaft that gives terrific support to the turret; the indexing is done by the center shaft. The parts that do the indexing should be replaced in any machine that hasn't been maintained by at least an aircraft mechanic. Replace the solid aluminum turret with the Grivory upgrade; it's worth the cost for the convenience. I replaced the primer assemblies with the external ones for ease of adjusting primer seating depth for a variety of primer/hull combinations. Some guys don't see the need; it's your decision. You DO want the latest mod primer ram. The cross shaft is larger on the 900/950s.

The 900 has the full length hull dies; the 950 has short 1" dies that don't support the hull as well. Bushings interchange.

The 900s use a warp-proof aluminum hopper carrier that costs extra on the new 800.

I have 6, 900s; 4 in service and 2 in process. I like them; I buy them cheap from people reverting to the new 800s.

Keller

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

The 800+ is basically the same machine as the 800B, with removable dies and (fairly) quick change Ga changes. Many of us have moved on to the 800+ and prefer it over the "9" models.

best....mike

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, the 800+ has an excellant final crimp stage as well.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had an 800B many years ago and it would not give a tapered crimp like the 800C or the 900 that I have now. The 950 did not do full length resizing and is not regarded too highly.

5. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Look at the Patriot. It has some nice features.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

see link above. Mark

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It is always good to say good by to an 800B. Some 800B parts are no longer available and others will soon follow.

The 900/950 loaders are destined to follow the path of the 800B (my opinion). If you really want to go the 900 route find a Platinum 2000 (discontinued).

The 800 Plus is a great loader. I believe it will be around for a long, long time. You can find used ones for $500 to $600.

Email or PM me to see what I can do for you on a new 800 Plus.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Your only choice in the present day P/W line-up for progressives are the 800 Plus @ $850 and the Patriot @ $1,250.

There is also the L/S-1000 (L/S = Lead, Steel, or Bismuth), which is basically a 900/905 but is taller to accommodate 3" shells in 12 gauge 2 3/4" and 3" and 10 gauge 3½" shells. It has the shorter 1" tall shell holders, same at the 950. It is the only reloader in the P/W line-up that now uses the Grivory (plastic) turret, all the others use aluminum die access plates.

The L/S does resize the brass and that is accomplished at Station #2, the depriming/priming station.

Whiz

9. JAAS

JAAS TS Member

Whiz,

What does the Patriot offer that makes it worth half-again as much as the 800+?

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It is an 800 Plus right up to the top toolhead, but the shot and powder delivery system on top is what it's all about, and with that the linkage does away with gears, upper and lower links, etc. It also comes with all the extras as standard equipment.

You have to decide yourself if the $400 is worth it or not.

WW

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Here's PW's list of the features on the Patriot. I've given them a personal opinion rating of their value to me as a trapshooter who has used 900s for 10 years, loads about 40,000 rounds/yr and does it without mechanical assistance.

Hi-volume users or those who run the machine mechanically for hours on end will have needs different from mine:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

To me, most of the new features add to the cost of the machine but not to the value. From my experience with the 900s, if you're needing a new loader a 900 (not a 950) would be a major improvement over what you have now; an new 800+ would give you an improved machine you're already familiar with at least twice the cost of a 900. Beyond that, you're gonna have to decide.

Keller

12. blazer1

blazer1 TS Member

Let me add something to this, I changed from a 800+ to the new Patriot serial number 15 and have loaded over 10,000 shells through it already without a problem. Its a work horse machine. Had to make some final adjustments to the primer tray but once that was done, it certainly puts out a wonderful looking shell. I think it was well worth the $400.00 difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.