1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP with old Citori problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Help folks! A few weeks ago I bought, (on ts.com) a 1975 Browning Citori Trap model. The gun was just as described...good trade...and I startd shooting it for fun. Shot better than with my newer more expensive guns! Today at practice, it shot fine on the lower barrel and then when we backed up for handicap and I switched to the top barrel, the gun opened upon firing. (1&1/8 oz. shot and 3 .dram equivilant, 1200 fps. Wal-Mart shells.) The gun fired fine and would lock up tight for the next shot, but after it opened twice I switched guns. Called my Browning gunsmith and they are backed up for six weeks! The Dixie Grand is right around the corner. Any suggestions????? HELP! Jack

2. butcher

butcher Member

Try degreasing the lock bolt in bottom of reciver.

3. Borderland

Borderland Member

It sounds like a weak top lever spring///available aftermarket on this forum -but not very easy to install. Try wrapping 4 or 5 rubber bands around the top lever and the trigger guard...if that keeps it closed-go for the top lever spring.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

You need a new top lever spring. You will find a real gunsmith at the Dixie who will be able to change it in about 5 minutes.

5. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

I was having the same problem with mine, if you clean and get all the grease off the locking block and groove in the barrels you can milk it for a few weeks but you will need to replace the lock block and spring. It should be around $100.00 to $150.00 to replace with new parts. A very good investment and releives the extra thoughts in your mind while shooting. Also IMO I wouldnt let anyone talk you into WELDING the block up, the costs are the same and those new blocks are plentiful not to mention you will have a new block in your gun instead of your old one.

Mark

6. Martinpicker

Thanks so much for your help. I will tske all the grease off that I can and plan on having it fixed at the Dixie Grand if I can't get it done before. Appreciate your advice. Jack

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Jack you don't need any gunsmith for replacing the top lever spring, order it from Brownells and save yourself some money and a easy fix even for the un-mechanically inclined owner. Remove the stock and you will see the spring nested up against the top lever dog.

8. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Yup...typical...I'll bet you can see the lever move when you fire the top barrel! It's probably time to replace ALL the springs, including the hammer springs. Not a major ordeal and you can order a kit from J P Ent. right here on TS.com. If you are not inclinded to do the installation on your own, any
    smith can do the job for you in less than 1/2 hour. Cleaning and degreasing the block and changing the springs is probably all you need.

9. Martinpicker

Thanks guys. Since I like the old gun I will have all the springs replaced. I am told I can get this done at the Dixie Grand, so if I can't get it done before I leave, I will have it done there. Thanks, Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.