1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help with new xt shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by weejie11, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weejie11

weejie11 TS Member

i recently purchased a Browning xt trap. I was shooting a Bt 99, which shot high about 6 inches. The new xt shoots dead on with a modified choke. Im having a hard time adjusting to the difference in poi. Any ideas? Lou D

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Raise the comb, which will raise the POI. If the comb is not adjustable use strips of mole skin to raise it. HMB

3. rrose

rrose TS Member

HMB has it, raise the comb. Forget about the beads being figure 8, it took me a long time to understand it was better for me to get the POI where it needed to be and to quit trying to get rid of the gap between the beads.
    randy

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

IMO that "figure 8 bead method is BS"

My stock fitter doesn't believe in it either. I have space in between my beads too.

Pattern and shoot straights on station 3 to dial in the gun

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Paint the beads flat black (acrylic plastic model paint) and you won't notice any space that's between them. You can focus on results instead of bead alignment.

Keller

6. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

The OP never mentioned anything about the bead configuration........How did we get to that conclusion?

D.P.Reynolds

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

All roads lead to Rome. HMB

8. open choke

open choke TS Member

True....

But the OP asked how to raise the POI so the figure 8 came into play cause he was being taught they way it's done.

Even that I don't go by the figure 8 myself but that's me ;-)

9. mitchie17

mitchie17 TS Member

I have both of my beads blacked out.. Just point and shoot. It took me awhile to get use to it. I was shooting a BT99 when I started too. I love my XT and wouldn't trade it for anything at least for now.

Michele

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

My guess is that the six inches got in your head and when you shoot you are bead checking and trying to make up the difference. Six inches should not make that big of difference. Just shoot the gun, and once the concentration is where it should be you will again be shooting to your abilities.

If your gun has an adjustable comb, then by all means raise it up so that the POI is exactly the same. At the very least it will give you confidence, and peace of mind, until the first miss anyways. Jon

11. open choke

open choke TS Member

Mitch,

My front sight was so loose and wouldnt stay that I had to take it off. After that I couldn't break a clay if I nuked the trap house.

12. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Is your old BT a Monte Carlo Stock? How about your XT does it have the an adjustible comb or monte carlo. All the above are correct. Raise the comb if you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.