1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with new shooter, looking at barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe O, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe O

Joe O Member

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm working with some SCTP shooters and I have several that I believe are looking back at their barrels. They semm to start good with the bird but I can see their guns slow or even stop as they are triggering the shot. They are also getting very dependant on me to tell them where they are shooting. I know it doesn't do much good to tell them "where" if I can't the "why". I need to get these shooters focusing only on the birds and following through. One is getting worse as he tries harder to see the leads by looking back at his barrel and doesn't understand why his shot keeps falling behind. Any tricks to help me get these young shooters only looking at the targets and not the barrels.
    Joe O

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Put in an open choke and have them shoot several targets on a (heaven, forbid) skeet range from station 7. This simulates a straightaway trap target. This should help them focus on the target as a quick shot, then transfer the technique to a trap field with the trap locked to throw similar straightaway targets. Once they get the feel, then try oscillating the trap. Best Regards, Ed

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, but blacking out the front bead with a black marker helped me. My coach also made me follow the target with the gun (without a shell) from the time it came out of the house to the time it hit the ground. You won't waste too many targets if you put 5 kids on the trap line at a time.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- It is not easy to get out of the mind frame that looking at the front sight is required to shot a shotgun. You can tell them that they should aim a rifle and just let your body point a shotgun, but this makes little sense to someone who has not already learned how to do this.

There are a few things you might try. Keep in mind that the same thing will not work for each shooter. If one of these things works for one shooter, do not become convinced that it will work for another.

1. Teach them to look through the site at the bird.
    2. Hold a lower gun and shoot faster
    3. Blacken the front sight with a marker
    4.Keep their head tight on the stock and keep looking at the bird for some time after they have shot.
    5. After one has made a good shot, ask him to describe what he saw. He will not be able to do the first time but perhaps he will the third of fourth time.

The fundamentals of trapshooting are rather simple, but is is not easy to learn how to do simple things repeatably.

Pat Ireland

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Either take the sites off the guns or wrap black tape around the barrel and to cover up the sight bead. They really aint lookin at the barrel but they are looking at the site bead.

When they constantly ask you where they are shooting become sneaky and ask them where they think they were. If they say behind tell them what to try and let them figure it out themselves. Now I aint saying not to help them but instead guide them into becoming confident at trying to figure it out themselves. In time they might start asking you by saying that they have done this and they have done that and they need some help instead of just asking and not trying themselves.

Good suggestion on the #7 low house on the skeet range but why not just lock the trap to the center and get them hitting them on post #3 ... same thing.

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

My only thought on the low 7 skeet approach was that it is a fairly easy shot and nothing builds confidence - or makes the exercise point - quicker to just look at the target than this type of success. Just an easy shot that provides a logical "jump" to a locked in straightaway trap shot. I really like the ideas re: taping or blackening the bead and the "nail & hammer" example. Good thoughts! Best Regards, Ed

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

best thing ive done . soft focus on field raise gun up draw back to shoulder tilt head forward into stock a bit, never looking at barrel call pull. See the target track it bang!. I then will follow the largest piece and follow it or if missed try to focus on leading edge of clay all the way down. by far one of the most improvement since doing so.

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Black out the bead (which is what I have been doing almost since I started shooting) or remove it altogether. They can't look at what that can't see.

9. Joe O

Joe O Member

Thanks for the ideas. We're going to keep working on this. I like the idea of setting them up to hit targets. I'm afraid if I start asking them where they think they are, behind or over tagets, they might start thinking they they need to use their beads to see the lead. They don't understand how fatal to the shot that habit is. Everyone sees the sight picture a little different. We'll get there.
    Thanks, Joe O

10. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

ok tell them it is just like driving a car when you go down the road you try to keep it between the ditches im sure you remembered in the old days most of the cars had a hood ormanent on them so that was like a front bead but now days hardly any has them so you have to drive by the feel of the road of course we have the white lines on the roads to show our bounderies so we don't run off in the ditches but we still don't look at them constantly.

But do as pat says let the body do the looking and also mount the gun the same each time and you will develope your own sight picture over time, also if the gun don't feel right when you mount then bring it down and remount because most of the time you will miss the bird just because you are thinking it don't feel right.

Foghorn

11. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Walk them right up to the trap house and shoot from there. Tell them , eye on the rock,head on the stock,and trust your eyes,trust your eyes,trust your eyes. It works with the kids I help. When they break a few, move them back. Most want to break the target so bad they end up aiming at first and won't "trust their eyes".

Keep at it, your doing a good thing.

GOOD LUCK".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.