1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with new 870 TC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap32, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap32

Trap32 Member

I just picked up my new to me 870 TC. It is a beauty but I'm having trouble hititng anything with it. It came with 3 chokes and the one I was using today is marked Singles Handicap .0027. I'm shooting from the 16 yard line and seem to be missing a lot more than usual when I shoot with my 391 Trap.

So my questions are:

1) What choke is the .0027?
    2) When I'm in the middle station and the targets are moving slightly left or slightly right from my center, where should the aim point be?
    3) Does this gun shoot 50/50 or is the spread a higher ratio?

I really like the gun but am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. For what it's worth, it feels lighter and livelier than my 391 Trap and ir also feels to have softer recoil.

Thanks!

Bill

2. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I own 2 870TCs and shoot them al the time and do better with them than most guns. The singles choke is an Imp.Mod The mid Handicap is Full And the long Handicap is x-tra full. I have shot alot of chokes thru them and find the normal Remington full choke too shoot best. My guns shoot 50/50 and you really do need to pattern different chokes and don't be afraid to try some regular Rem Chokes because they work for me. I have a CompnChoke full for Remington that shoots great out of them. Any other questions pm me. I've shot them for several years. hope this helps

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Save yourself lots of grief and money and pattern this gun. I do extensive patterning and I have found different choke tubes, even with the same choke constriction as they can throw different patterns. .27 thousands is a improved modified which should be good for 16 yard. I personally don't like choke tubes, especially Remington choke tubes. Pattern all of your choke tubes, try shooting all of them. See how you then break targets. I am old school, and I shoot a Remington 870 tb with a fixed full choke of .42 thousands. I love smoke, as it builds confidence as I shoot. Over the years I have been an 870 collector. Should you have any other questions PM me and I will attempt to answer them for you. By the way, I went through over 10 barrels to find a barrel I like for my 870.
    Steve Balistreri

4. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

that gun should splatter targets. Try different things until you figure it out. Try covering the target, try leading the target ect... you will find it. I would guess that it shoots flat. All the best.]

J.F.

5. Trap32

Trap32 Member

Thank you all for the advice. I am really itching to get out there and shoot again but we have two major storms coming into Northern Cal so rain is on tap for the next 5-8 days.

BTW, any Sacramento shooters know of a place to pattern my gun? I shoot at the Cordova Shooting center and they do not have any means for me to pattern my gun.

Bill

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bill... You may have to go to Coon Creek to do it. I'm pretty sure that George has a pattern board set up there...... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do 870 tc shoot