1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with my computer please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by calilori, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

Help! After the Regcure thing ran on my computer everything seemed work well, but then I turned my laptop off and went out of town for a couple of days. Now, Iturned it on and my desktop is completely missing. Only the Recyble Bin is on it. I tried to do a system restore, but the system restore is missing and when I tried to connect to the internet I get "Dependencey service or group failed to start" when I go into the start menu I can't click on any program to get it started. Did the RegCure turn something off that it shouldn't have? How can I find system restore to restore to an earlier time? I tried starting in Safe Mode and couldn't get system restore to work from there either. I can't do anything at all on the computer. Help!

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Cali, I don't know anything about regcure, but most of the registry cleaners make a backup of the registry before they "clean" it.

Boot up in safe mode and search around for the backup. It is often in the root directory, or in the c:\Program Files\name of the program directory. If you find it, rename the existing registry to registry.old1 or something and replace it with the backup. Make sure to change the extension on the backup to .reg.

If you cannot find the backup, try running regcure while in Safe mode. Most have log files that show what was done, and most have a way of reversing changes that were made previously.

Also, check your user profile. That is probably what went flooey. Regcure may have wiped you user profile in the registry. That's where your desktop and preferences are stored. If that gone, or it points to somewhere else and you can't do a restore from regcure or replacing the backup, then you will have a problem. Chances are you can navigate to any program you have installed using Explorer, then clicking on the execute file for that program. You may have to get to regcure that way.

There is a way to restore your user preferences, desktop, etc., but I have forgotten how to do it. Good luck.

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

You have my sympathies for your experience with RegCure. This software has a reputation for this sort of result, particularly in systems that may not be as clean and sound as they could be. It's one of the reasons I caution against the use of registry cleaners. Since you're trying to use the System Restore utility, I assume you don't have any backup software in your system. SysRestore wasn't designed for this kind of failure; it depends on a basically-intact kernel in the registry to function properly and it appears that you don't have one.

If you have more than a basic knowledge of operating systems, assuming that you are using XP and have an original full XP installation disk from Microsoft (not a manufacturer-supplied recovery disk), you may be able to reconstruct the OS by using the Recovery Console on the installation disk. Here is a link to the MS support instructions for its use.

If you are using Vista and, again, have an original full Windows Vista installation disk, you may be able to use the Recovery Tools that have replaced the Recovery Console in the Vista build. Here is a link to Windows Support that explains the process.

Good luck...

Carol Lister

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I hope you have a good external back up. If not now may be a good time to look into it. When a crash happens you can reload windows and reinstall software and all your data is on the backup. It's a hard lesson but I learned it also.

5. calilori

calilori TS Member

I have Vista, and I have no recovery disc. Ugh! I'm going to have to take it in to the computer geeks tomorrow and pay a small fortune that I don't have. But unfortunately, I make my living from my computer at home, and this old desk top doesn't quite make it. Thanks anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.