1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with my BT-99 front sight.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Waylon, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waylon

Waylon TS Member

The front sight on my BT-99 somehow got sheared off today. I assume it's a screw in, any thoughts on how to get that litle sucker outta there?

Thanks, Chad

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Drill a very small hole in the sight. It can then be worked out with a small screwdriver. Some are going to post that you should just leave it off. I like to have a front sight to check bead alignment every 5-10 shots. I do have my front sight colored black, but I still want one.

Pat Ireland

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just to add insult to injury, there is probably a drop of locktite holding the rest of that screw in.

The best method of extracting broken screws/bolts that I've found is a good set of LH twist drill bits. Turn these at a very slow speed so they can get the oppertunity to bite in and turn the screw out.

A little heat will also help if there is locktite present.

ss

4. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Piece of cake. Use a #1 center drill to put a small dimple in the center of the broken threaded piece. Use a drill a little smaller than the tap drill size. The front sight should be a 3-56 thread. I don't have a tap drill chart at home, but I think it's about a #45 drill. Use a #48 or so and drill down through the screw.If you have the right soft touch, the screw will walk right out. If you know a tool and die maker, have him help you. We can come in very handy sometimes. I'm in SE Wisconsin. If you're close by, send me a PM.Not to mention, I would be happy to help anyone named Waylon.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If worse comes to worse you can always retap it to 6-48 or 8-40 if you screw up really bad. They make beads in those sizes.

HM

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

steve mainus- Yes, a piece of cake for a tool and die many like you. But many only have a quarter inch drill and have no idea what a #1 center drill or a #45 drill is. I know what they are and I know how to break them.

Pat Ireland

7. mike b.

mike b. Member

I think the Grab-it would be too oversize for a sight screw. A Dremel with a carbide dental drill ( 1/2 or 1) can carve a straight notch a jewelers screwdriver could engage.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Just remember to run that LH drill COUNTER CLOCKWISE! We had a millwright?? once that was given a job to drill out cap screws on a ring gear on a huge ball mill. Well he had a magnetic drill press and a bunch of left handed drill bits. He spent most of the night having the machinist sharpening those drill. Yep you guessed it he was running the drill press in the clockwise direction. Definatley not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Bill

9. fishguts

fishguts Member

Piece of cake...take it to a gunsmith.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 bead sights

browning bt 99 front bead

browning bt 99 front sight thread size

browning bt-99 front sight

browning bt-99 front site screw size