1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with my 682 Gold E

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a 682 Gold E unsingle combo and went out shooting with it for the first time tonight. I started out a little rough which is to be expected. What I find troubling is where should I start out? I came from shooting a BT-100 which I believe was pretty flat. I have not pattern either gun, yeah I know, I know, but I was hoping for some insight as to a baseline to start out with.

Right now I completely lowered the comb and have the rib in the middle position. I seemed to have shot well hitting the center pretty well. I tried to go back to the 27 and heck I have no idea where I was shooting.

Am I asking for the impossible since I have not patterned it? I fiddled with my BT enough to shot it well, but maybe all in all it was all in the practicing.

Bryan

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are beyond the help of mere mortals, please seek devine guidance. HMB

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Right now I completely lowered the comb and have the rib in the middle position."

If making the gun shoot lower was your desire, lowering the comb is the way to do it. Is the "rib in the middle postion" the original setting, or did you move it there from ?

My guess is, the difference in rib height is driving your fire-control-computer crazy right now. It's going to take 500-1000 rounds for your brain to adjust to the new sight picture. It is also a good idea to pattern, at least the new gun, to find out if there are any surprises. Good luck.

4. Calkidd

I know I need to pattern the gun, this is were most of the answers will be. The gun is used and when I got it, it was set all the way down with the comb up.

5. thunder

thunder Active Member

I would take your old BT100 if you still have it and pattern it for POI. Set you 682E up to the same POI as your BT100, good starting point. If you can get a trap set on straights and adjust gun from station 3 from the 16yd line until you smoke targets, now do the same with standing on your yardage line. Some also then check the same way set on hard right and hard left.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Calkidd, stop screwing around and go to the pattern board. Chances are you have a serious problem and you'll need to determine what it is.

I bought a new Gold E combo, set it up like my Superposed and shot away. Some days I'd run them, but others I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. One day, after 3 particularly frustrating rounds, my buddy suggested I switch to a full choke (I was using IM). I ran the next 25.

I went to the pattern board and set up on a bench at 20 yards away from the grease plate. I put a choke in the under barrel and shot for POI. Then I did the same with every other choke. It turned out that the only two chokes that shot to the same POI were one of the IMs and the F. I had been using the two IMs interchangeably, so that was part of the problem.

I then took one of the two known good chokes and put it in the top barrel. Holy S***! It didn't shoot to the same POI as the under barrel. Nor did the top single barrel. I called Beretta and they said the set it up that way on purpose. The bottom barrel shot high, the top barrel shot flat (supposedly to help with doubles) and the single barrel shot higher.

A call to Briley ordering replacement chokes cured the random POI problems for chokes and I shot better. I never did get used to the different POIs for the double barrels, so I sold the gun.

As it turns out, this is common with Berettas and Brownings, so you won't know what you have until you do as I did above.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My 682s are both flat to low shooting guns you can get an idea about this by looking down the side of the rib and comparing that to the axis of the bore.

Anyway, you need to do what Thunder suggest and 'sight in' your gun by shooting straight aways from post 3. Use the comb adjustment for elevation and windage changes and forget about the rib adjustment for the time being. Once you think you have the gun shooting where you want then repeat the sight in process making rib adjustments. This process will take you some time so don't get in a big hurry. But this is time well spent and even worth repeating every now and then.

8. Calkidd

I sure hope I don't have a screwy POI. I have three Briley Spectrum chokes for the gun. Last night I was shooting the LF (.030").

Wolfram, are you shooting a top single or under single? I realize I've shot this gun for the first time last night, but I can tell you it is no where near a "flat" shooting gun. But then again a flat shooting gun is all in the prespective of the shooter. I think 50/50 or 60/40 are flat and anything above is considered high.

Bryan

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

lhe last three posts are your best advice

10. Bosco

Bosco TS Member

You could try using a laser shot shell cartridge. This will give you a good indication
    concerning POI and whether or not the gun is is shooting too far left or right.
    After using the laser , then go to the pattern board.
    Good Luck Bosco

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

See if you can get the trap boy to lock the trap in one position, like maybe a 1/4 right. Set your adjustable parts to the position that feels comfortable to you. If you have to fight to get into position, you will always fight the gun. Shoot that same target presentation until you are turning them to dust. That will teach you how the gun shoots for you, when you have it adjusted to be comfortable to you. Good luck

12. Calkidd

Thanks for the advise everyone. Somehow there appears there might have been a suggestion the gun is not shooting correctly. As far as I know there are no problems with the accuracy of the gun, just the loose nut behind the stock.

Bryan

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"just the loose nut behind the stock"

Boy i couldn't have said that better myself.

Indygrntitan

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Common issue

You were shooting a top single-

Now you have an unsingle and your brain cant adapt

Easy cure- shoot another 5000 shells and concentrate on looking only at the target and the not the barrel

Lots of people never make the transition to an unsingle because they have "shot off the barrel" for years

Regards from Iowa

Gene

15. Calkidd

Thanks Gene. I am going to just shoot as much as I can. Maybe I will set up my video camera up on a tripod and video myself shooting. Also, my first time shooting was at darkness under the lights. I don't think that helped my cause any.

Bryan

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Bryan,

My 682 combos are both top single guns and they are the older 682x models. I got them shooting where I wanted by installing adjustable combs. In their factory stock configuration both guns actually shot low for me.

I would be suprised if you are unable to get you gun shooting where you want it to. It just might take a bit of work thats all.

Good luck, I think you will like the gun once you dial it in.

17. 682LINY

682LINY Member

hello calkidd . dont know if you are in cali or a kid,a new shooter or old timer,, D or A shooter, but i hate to see some one make some of the same mistakes i did back when i started. find a mentor,,you cant shoot and watch at the same time,,, and watching film is a waste of time unless you know what to look for,,,and if you did you would be teaching not learning,,,the best teachers ar not allways the best shooters,,ask for some help,,the 5000 targets to learn a gun is non-sense,, i shoot a 682 double,,picked it up from a 686 scores never went down,,,have shot 682 unsingles 3 times 25 birds each time,,in ny , cali and tennesse,, mised 4 birds total and the cali gun was left hand stock,,,in other words,,its between the ears,,,dont waste a lot of target and shell money chaseing your tail,,,i have gotten free help and payed K.Ohye money and both helped in diffrent ways,,,but get some one to help you

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bryan(calkidd) is from CA but not a kid(maybe at heart). He is not new to Trap(shot first registered in 93) but certainly not as experienced as many here. He has a mid 90's singles average and shoots from the 24.5yd line. I think he is just having some minor gun setup issues as this is his first adjustable rib Unsingle Trap gun.

19. Calkidd

Thanks Matt pretty much sums it up.

Calkidd was a handle I used way back in the day.

Bryan

20. 682LINY

682LINY Member

well good luck,, I love the unsingle just cant aford one right now,,,have some one whos been around give you a hand,, some of the pullers out by me are the best,,, if in LA area i heard the guy at oak tree knows some,,get the gun to fit and you will love it,,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.