1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with MEC 9000G Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pez_WA, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pez_WA

pez_WA TS Member

I purchased a used MEC 9000G in 20 gauge from someone on this list. I am having a problem with the bar lock mechanism. He said it worked fine before shipment so I think something either got bent or something needs a little adjustment that I can't quite figure out. Specifically, when there are no hulls in the carrier, powder dumps. Here is the description of what I am seeing.

When there is no hull on the carrier, at the bottom of the downstroke the bar lock moves up and engages the slide and locks it - effectively. However, as the handle begins to move up, the Trip Rod moves up slightly and disengages (or reduces the engagement of) the bar lock from the slide - partially. This reduces the surface of engagement between the bar lock and the slide to about 1/3 of what it had been at the bottom of the stroke. This slight engagement is unstable and does not secure the slide and sometimes the slide pops to the right dropping powder at the top of the stroke if the handle.

I can't figure out how to adjust this and will have to call MEC on Monday. If you have any thoughts, I would appreciate your ideas...

Thanks for any help - Paul

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

This is controlled by the Primer Seating Adjustment believe it or not. Lowering the primer seating prod "just a taste" will enable the lock on the shot and powder bar. Raising the seating prod will allow the lock to disengage. I think you will find this to keep the lock positioned where it needs to be. Rick ~~~~Texas

3. pez_WA

pez_WA TS Member

Rick,

"Lowering the primer seating prod..."

OK, here is a link to the MEC 9000 Owners Manual:
    http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/ownermanuals/9000.pdf

Are you referring to the adjustment mentioned at the top of page #26 Figure 54 reprime Station?

Thanks -

Paul

4. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I know I am going to get jumped all over for what I am about to say but here goes. I had the same trouble with mine and saw no use for it so all I did was bend it out of the way if I need it to do something with the handle I bend it back. To be perfectly hones with you I have loaded 1000 and 1000 of shells with out any problems. That ended all my headaches.
    Pete

5. pez_WA

pez_WA TS Member

Pete, I have no idea what you are talking about. What did you bend out of the way? I have no intent to do this - just wondering what you're saying.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pete is right. You only need it if you want to operate press as a single stage press. It will operate as a progressive press just fine without the part. Just pull the pin and it slides right off the stud. I've operated my 9000s without it for years without a problem. HMB

7. pez_WA

pez_WA TS Member

So, the suggestion to move the powder drop tube did not work.

I called MEC today and the fix was fairly simple. Apparently one of the last steps in the tuning process at the factory is to make sure that on the full downstroke, the Trip Rod drops to a flush position at the very top. Mine was not flush. To make it flush, hold the handle in the fully down position, and slightly bend the Trip Rod Bracket down with needle nose pliers. The Trip Rod Bracket is shown and identified in the pictures but it is the part that engages the bottom of the Trip Rod in the full down position with no shells on the carrier.

This was a simple 2 minute fix and it works perfectly now. I checked my 12 gauge machine and adjusted it too. Even better engagement of the Bar Lock. Thanks for all ideas... - Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 trip rod how does it work

mec trip rod