1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** HELP WITH LEAD SHOT HARDNESS+++

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find much with a search.

I want to know how much wheel weight lead I should add to pure lead to make lead harder for a better reload recipe? How much for hard shot, and how much for "magnum" shot?

I know I could add antimony, and would if I could find it, or I could add printers lead, if I could find some, to make the lead harder, but what is a good recipe, or percentage, I can add to my pure lead for extra hardness?

I have been told that sheet lead from an x-ray room is good shot making material, but how hard is it?

I make my own shot, and have a small supply of wheel weight lead, and a greater amount of pure lead sheets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Danny

2. 6878mm

6878mm Member

As far as I can remember , the ratio is--4parts wheel weights to 1part pure lead, ie 20%
    There is a thread on Shotgun world about shotmaking that discusses nearly all the aspects of making your own shot, it is very lengthy though, about35pages if memory serves correctly
    It may be worth your while to try and wade through it??
    Cheers Pete

3. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete

Anyone else?

4. 2Brinkoetter

2Brinkoetter Member

Danny,

I also make shot. I have found that wheel weights are 10%. Printers lead is 12%. and Pure lead is 0%. Magnum shot is 6%. Standard shot is approximately 3-4%, mostly 3%. The new wheel weights have babbit or zinc, something of that nature in them, they do not work through my littleton shotmaker. I also use wheel weights that are from heavy commercial trucks are generally 5-6%, and work excellent. Remember if you were to use pure printers lead at 12% it would take you an ounce and 3/8 bushing to drop an ounce and 1/8 shot because it is 12% and it will be extremely light in weight. Weight your shot to make a comperable size bushinh and wad adjustment. Give that a try,

Thanks,

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.