1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help With K-Gun Doubling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mtneer, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

I purchased a K-80 over a year ago (longtime Beretta shooter). In the beginning, I had issues with the gun doubling (checked out the gun mechanically and the trigger is fine). I moved the trigger pull back and that seemed to fix the problem. Now a year later, the problem has reappeared and it is driving me insane. I was shooting sporting clays and had to quit shooting after staion seven. The first four stations were fine, then the doubling started. Obviously it takes your mind off of the bird and kills the focus.

WHAT CAN I DO? I know that there is a ton of knowledge on this thread and I would like to know if this has happened to anyone before and what they have done to fix.

thanks

2. Jag one

Jag one Member

This happened to my squad mate today at a registered S/C shoot today 1 time and I had this happen 1 time, however that was all. May be the barrel selector was not all the way to one side or the other. Just a guess on my part. Regards, Bruce.

3. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I'm a long time Kreighoff shooter (40 yrs.), I have had the guns seem like they double, however they are repeating two shots very quickly. There is a name for this, I can't think of it now. but doubling is a big BANG, this is a very Quick BANG BANG. It happens when the redcoil of the gun sets the triger and pulls the trigger off the first shot. I was very light on the trigger in doubles and this happened often. I now have become more deliberate with my trigger pulls and the problem has gone away. It may be a real double, but in my experience, it was me. I worked it out but it may come back at any time.
    tom

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Before you do anything to the gun, have some one else shoot it. See if it fan fires for them. More than likely, you are holding the gun lightly and your trigger finger is hitting the trigger for the second shot. The K gun has an incredible trigger, but in the days when I shot them, if I held the gun lightly sometimes it would let me know to hold it firmly, by fan firing.

I would suggest you hold the pistol grip more firmly and press the trigger more deliberately and with follow through. Putting more of your finger on the trigger, maybe to the first joint, will help stop this.

Using the tip of the finger works for target handgun and rifle, but the shotgun is different.

If the gun continues this rowdy behavior, change the selector. If it continues, it is likely your shooting technique. If it stops, you may have issues.

Removing the stock and cleaning the arm is a good first step. Watch the "C" clips, and make sure you do not dislodge them, and make sure all 8 of them are in place.

Braxton at Krieghoff Intl' will gladly send you fresh ones if needed.

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You have to have a more positive trigger pull, your teasing the trigger, trying to get it to break when you think it should......train and let your brain control the trigger.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Make sure the small screw that is used to adjust the trigger is tight. If it is loose, the recoil from the first shot can make the trigger move forward against your finger and actually fire the second barrel.

Years ago I had my K-80 trigger rebuilt to eliminate the problem of doubling. This expensive work made no difference. I suffered through a couple of more shoots with doubling until I figured out that a 1/4 turn with an Allen wrench would fix the problem.

Pat Ireland

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

As mentioned above- make sure the trigger selector is all the way over- and lock it there

Make sure your finger is off the trigger for each shot- I have stood next to people and watch them pull the trigger twice- different brand guns

Moving the trigger back the first time cured this- so that should tell you that you are prone to it- in fact you might need to have some of the trigger shoe ground off so you can move it back even futher

You might need a higher trigger pull weight- for that you need to send it to a qualified krieghoff gunsmith

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

It also is very difficult to tell when something is broke such as the trunion or the hair selector spring. It takes a little knowledge and probing , looks dont always tell. Jeff

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Trigger pull should be checked. Gunfit Lop or triggerplacement could be part of this. I doubt it is actually a mechanical problem if the pulls are over 3lbs.

An inproperly fit gun and poor technique are the usual causes.

Joe

10. andybull

andybull Active Member

Try holding the gun tighter to your shoulder.

11. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I had a similar problem once on my K-20. I talked to Chris Maest, and we decided that it was operator error. It was a loose mount of the gun and the recoil bounce caused a second trigger pull a fraction of a second after the first. Some of the above posts talk to gun fit and mount. Billy

12. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

ALl;

I truly appreciate all of your advice. This has been driving me crazy. I finally get my dream gun and this happens. The last time this happened, I had a friend shoot it and it could not be duplicated. The frustrating thing is that it is me causing the issue.

Again, Thanks for all of the fantastic advice. The people on this site are truly experts and are great for sharing their advice and experience.

thanks again,
    Mike

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm not familiar with the K-80 trigger let off adjustment but on my KS-5 Special, when I do a thorough cleaning and check all adjustments, I nearly always end up with the gun firing upon closing. This really had me panicked the first time it happened but, fortunately, I was alone and checking POI at the time. I found that adjusting the let off to a heavier setting a 1/4 turn at a time got it fixed promptly and, so far, permanently. If there is such an a adjustment mechanism on the K-80, simply add some let off weight until the dilemma stops; perhaps the same advice as from Sir Ireland.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.