1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Jeep problem....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blizzard, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Bushings? Do you hear it more often when it's wet?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

On 4 X 4 it could be worn axle U joints or sticking brake caliper. It is normal for steering wheel to chatter a little when making a hard turn on pavement at slow speed with 4 X 4. Jack up the right front side and see if you hear the noise or feel looseness in the axle U joints.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My 99 Cherokee sometimes makes a weird noise and it seems like turn signal flasher is stuck or shorting out.

4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Sounds to me like the outboard bearing itself. I am not that familiar with an 04 Jeep but if it is like most others built today, there is a sealed bearing pressed into a yoke between A-frames. The CV shaft goes thru it and the hub pressed or splined onto the shaft, outer nut holding it. Sounds like the grease worms got to that bearing.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It could be a U-joint on one of the front wheels. You don't have to have the Jeep in 4-wheel drive. 4-wheel drive is just engaging the transfer case. If your Jeep has "lock-out hubs", unlock them. This will allow the wheel to spin freely.

While the hubs are still locked, each wheel's U-joint will continue to turn.

I had to replace the joints on an 89 Ram. This truck did not have manual locking hubs, but had automatic ones, when the transfer case was shifted into 4-wheel. I was surprised that the auto hubs arent really unlocking each front wheel, but has a switch type of gadget on the axle. I installed manual lockouts, when I replaced the u-joints.

My 2000 ford currently has started to "click" on hard left turns. It's a U-joint. I tend to drive a lot with the hubs locked(stupid me), but not shifted into 4WD. Since I UNLOCKED the front hubs, the clicking noise has ceased.

If you like this jeep and plan to keep it, replace the U-joints, and install the WARN Manual Lockouts.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Lisa@,

A bad bearing in a U joint may not make much noise at all as long as the joint stays relatively straight.

But as soon as that joint has to turn with it's center lines no longer true, an unusual amount of torue is applied, and you'll hear the bearing wanting to skip around.

7. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Peter, Jeep Wranglers have solid front axles, no CV joints or boots. Does sound like a front axle u-joint though. Not unheard of at that mileage, my Dodge dealer replaced one under warranty on my 2001 Ram with only 28,000 miles. Problem is they are sealed joints the factory uses, you can't grease them yourself, and without manual lockout hubs, they are spinning all the time.

8. blaine

blaine TS Member

has the a/c been recharged lately? my wife's chrysler did the exact same thing after the service garage overcharged the a/c system.

9. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Lisa2 first - Does your jeep have electronic four wheel drive? Next, if it does, there is a cable that runs to both sides of your front axle that is controlled by celanoid valve. If the front wheel bearings get too much play in them and as you turn the car especially on the left side this causes the locking mechanism that locks the hubs in to come in contact but not to engage. This is the rubbing metallic sound that you hear. You have to have the dealer take the hubs apart to check that this is whats causing your problem. In time if not taken care of the mechanism that locks the hubs in on the wheels for 4 wheel drive will fail and the cost will be very high to have them replaced. This happens as the car gets older or it may be a defect in the wheel bearing assemblies. This happens on the Jeeps with electonic four wheel drive. Also, check with the dealer to see if there is a (TSB) which is technical service bulletin put out by the factory for this problem. Good luck. Hope this helps.

10. dexterkid

dexterkid TS Member

Your left wheel bearing may be getting bad. That is if the noise is only when you are turning left. You would feel it in the steering wheel also.

Jack

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I would look carefully at the bearings and the CV Joints(bearings). When you turn the preload on the beaings changes that could cause the noise. Close inspection and some test drives should help indicate exactly were the problem is,however in some cases you need the noise to get worse or more consistent in order to find it. Drive line can be tough nois diagnostics can be toughany time you cause a weight shift you cahnge the load on the bearings. Has any work been doen to the vehicle recently? Check the lug nuts for torque make sure there tighten correctly that is another possible cause.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Learn to live without using the A/C and the problem will be solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.