1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Info on Chinese Shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pdq, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

A fellow here at work asked if I'd take a look at a shotgun his brother-in-law gave him for Christmas. Oddest looking thing I've ever seen. It's a side-by-side with double triggers and exposed hammers, short barrels. On the barrel it says it will take 3" shells, so can't be much more than 15 - 20 years old.

On one side of the barrel it says:
    Zhongzhou Machine Works China

And on the other side it says:
    CAI Georgia VT (a distributor in Vermont?)

After looking at it for a few minutes he asked what I thought and I told him I had 2 thoughts. First one was that his brother-in-law obviously didn't like him very much, and secondly, not to think that if he sold it that he could buy a new house. He's a good friend, he laughed, no offense taken.

His concern was if it was even safe to shoot & I told him I had no clue.

Anybody know anything about that company or these guns?

In advance, many thanks.

Pete

2. yodes

yodes TS Member

Looks like there is one like it maybe on auctionarms.com? Bid $201, Buy it now about $399 if I remember correctly.

Steve

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Looks like it's an import by Century Arms in Vermont:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95548

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinImport.htm

I'd call Century and ask them about it. It's probably a cowboy coach gun. Phil E

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I bet 3" shells would hurt a bit.

Probably safe to shoot but you should have it checked for lead paint - can't be to safe you know!

Most of the Chinese guns I have seen are pretty rough.

Don

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Pete I'll pay for a round if you shoot it. I'll bring out my 16" riot gun with full cylinder non choke and winner buys the beer.

Jerry

6. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

You can get them at Big 5 Sporting Goods for $249.95 on sale. Yes they do hurt with three inch shells. I know a guy who tried it. Dan

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The do fill a niche with cowboy shooters. The days of pickup up cheap used side by sides for cowboy shooting are all but over. The demand is too high. The Chicom guns fill a niche for a budget cowboy gun. They're also cheap enough as to be disposable after being run into the ground from competition. I have an old Winchester Model 24, which someday will bite the dust. If I cannot fix it, I'll probably replace it with something dirt cheap. The kick isn't bad with light target loads, and you usually fire only two or four shots in most stages. Generally one box per shoot.

And, don't underestimate the sales going to some of our former Eastern Bloc immigrants. You'd be surprised at how well Russian guns sell to the local Russian population. Crudeness and kick is not an issue with them. The gun works and the price is right, and that's all they care about.

8. pdq

pdq Member

Jerry:

I don't you'd want to be shooting with me -- this has to be one of the ugliest guns I've seen in a while.

But, given the open chokes of the guns, if we were to shoot against each other would we take a mike & stand on either side of the house?

Pete

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Nah Pete, we shoot from the 16 yard line. We can do post 1 and 5 to start and we can put someone we don't like on 3. That should protect us both.

At least my Winchester 1300 won't blow up. We don't know about yours. BTW I've tried that riot gun before and you can break them from the 16 if you don't forget how quickly that short barrel moves.

10. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I, unfortunately, once owned one of these guns. It is a century arms jw-2000. Not a high quality gun by any means, but recoil is actually not too bad (with 2 3/4" target loads) and it is very reliable.

11. pdq

pdq Member

I want to thank everyone who responded with info on this gun -- I've passed it along to the owner, who also said to say thanks.

Pete

12. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

You actually have a copy of the extremely rare Fugowi S/S made in the LongDong province of China. I would offer 179 yuan. Do you accept cheques?

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The Chinese are making several guns aimed at Cowboy Shooters. They are making a fair mod 97 but if you are going to use it in competition you need have it polished up internally. If you are going to shoot the s/s you could have the internal parts polished and it would work a lot smoother. The are actually cheap imitations of fine guns. But replica guns are a big market and the Italians are not behind in the hand gun market.

Don

14. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Century also imports a home defense type that is an 870 clone. Also in the $200 range at Big 5. Dan

00 range

15. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

It's not really a 20 guage,the chokes are just at the wrong end.Jack

16. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I picked one of these Guns up for $200.00 out the door.
    I looked at it for about a month...Did not have the STONES to shoot it.
    Traded it off for 200lb of home made #8 shot from wheel whights.
    I never looked back on that deal.

17. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Where the Fugowi? F Troop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.