1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with high shooting gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

How about staying with your old routine, for the first few rounds.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Hold in normal area so as to have same bird recognition. It will be a trial and error circumstance till your memory banks get tuned into new POI.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you want three with the same advice, add me.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you follow their advice you will miss alot of birds. The gun has a different POI. You will have to do something different to hit the birds. Common sense rules the roost. I would tell you what to do, but that info is classified. HMB

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Or shoot faster.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Changing guns is enough for now, go out and change nothing. Ya know forget its a different gun. dont even look at it. mount it shoot it. for now

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My experience with guns that shoot that high is that I can't "shoot (them) by rote" as you have learned to do. I've broken good scores by consciously shooting what looks like way under but it's exhausting.

Sorry, but my guess is that if your old gun "works for you" this one one won't.

The problem is just what Kay Ohye says: "The problem is, we break 90% of our mistakes." And you'll break 90% of your birds even if the POI doesn't suit your "automatic" shooting. So it's hard to tell if it's OK or not.

If you end up adjusting to "shoot under" you change not only where you shoot, but the rest of all that automatic stuff as well. Something else has to be what releases the shot, which is to say, you have to relearn not only where to shoot, but when and even how as well.

Good luck -before you go through all the expensive relearning, you really ought to examine why you are making the change anyway. If it's to raise your scores, then you are going to have to brutally honest with yourself and decide whether it's working. If the change is for the fun of it, then just have fun and learn what you can from the experience.

Neil

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You'll have a much easier time learning to shoot a gun that shoots high than the opposite. Stick with it!!

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I assume you don't have an adjustible comb. Did you put that baby on paper while shooting on bags, and compare it to your old gun's POI?. Some triggers are faster and some guns are lighter. A higher POI may be a benefit. Till you shoot it, don't fuss with it. All guns have differing dynamics. This may fit you fine. Shoot it the way you see it. Look at it as a learning tool. Take your time and enjoy the experience.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

you may be surprised how flat that BT99 may shoot even with space between the beads.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you shoot the bird on the rise, touch bottom of bird and shoot, SMOKE

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. dexterkid

dexterkid TS Member

Why wouldn't you pattern the new gun to have the same POI as your old gun? Or, if you wanted try a higher shooting gun why didn't you pattern your old gun to shoot higher?

Just curious,
    Jack

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pete- I admire your attitude. You bought a gun at a good price. You did not know if it would help you but you decided it would be fun to find out. If the gun does not work out for you, you will learn something that does not work for you. That can be important. Keep on experimenting and having fun.

Pat Ireland

14. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Its amazing how different the shotguns shoot. I had a brand new BT-99 with the adjustable comb on it and it shot almost flat. 60/40. I kept having to raise the comb up to get it to shoot higher for handicaps. Its interesting to me that yours shoots 100% high right out of the box. I wonder why that is as you would think the same guns would have approximately the same POI from the factory.

15. mike b.

mike b. Member

I used to own the vintage bt99 that you purchased. (highest shootin' bt made !) Two options.....reduce the comb height gradually until you reach your POI norm or raise the front sight ! If you adjust to this gun, you will not be able to shoot your other gun. Adjust your gun to fit you, don't adjust yourself to fit the gun. IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.