1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Gun value, Colt National Match 38

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerry944t, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have this gun marked "Colt National Match" in 38 caliber, specifically .38 Special Mid Range ammo. This means it will only eat 38 special, flush mounted wad cutters. The serial number is 46xx-MR. It is not a built up gun, in was manufactured as I describe it.

Interestingly when you fire this gun the empties come out with concentric circles in the brass corresponding to circles in the chamber.

This gun is on a 1911 frame, is all original, has a wonderful trigger, reliability and great accuracy. I have the "Blue Book" but can't find or have overlooked any reference to this gun so any help on fair market value would be appreciated.

I would rate it 95% because of some slight pitting on the slide, only on the right side and toward the front. It has Pachmayr rubber grips but I have the original wood grips.

Thanks for any help.

Jerry Weger

2. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Pat a clip holds a certain number of rounds, and once it is empty it is ejected from the weapon eg the M-1 Garand. A magazine is detached from the weapon (rifle, pistol, shotgun etc) by the operation of a magazine release. I had the difference beat into my steel pot with a chamber clearing rod once. I will remember that lesson til the day I die!

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Does my BT-99 have a clip or magazine??

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sirmassalot,
    that totaly cracked me up- too funny

5. Jerry944t

Thanks for all the answers. Any other info is appreciated and interesting.

Jerry

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

SirMissalott, that sounds like a question for Zara!

As an aside, when S&W was in the ammunition business, we found that their .38 Special Wadcutters would not cycle in the Model 52. Called S&W, and they confirmed.

Best,
    Dennis

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Sarge, you nailed it.

The Colt NM was not up to the task.

I have Clark Long slides in both .38 and .45. They will shoot.

Yes the NM has spiral grooves in the chamber to slow down ejection. A "half-assed" solution in my opinion.

Don

8. Jerry944t

Up for any other interesting info.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The S&W Model 52 had three versions. The gun was a target adaptation of the Model 39 9mm, which was S&W entry into the 1954 Army trial for a new sidearm. It lost, but was adopted by a number of law enforcement agencies, most notably for me, the Illinois State Police.

The first Model 52 was double action like the model 39. The improved version, the Model 52-1 was the best, being manufactured at a time when S&W quality was very high. After S&W was acquired by Bangor Punta, a South American conglomerate, quality went down the tubes. The new version, the 52-2 had a number of changes that cheapened the gun, namely the extractor.

The gun required flush seated wadcutters. I don't recall a brand that didn't work,
    but there may have been.

The above is all from memory, so don't flame me if I missed something.

10. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

What would a 38 Super in mint condition be worth ????

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Dickgtax,
    Yes, I have fond memories of my 52-1. I purchased it used from a member of the Canadian Shooting Team. It loved the Remington 148 gr HBWC.

Another gun I wish had had not sold but I had to get rid of it when I left Canada and moved to the US.

Don

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I sold my 52-1, my model 41, and my Shockey 45 - all for less than I should have.
    They were wonderful guns, but as nice as they were, they're pretty much useless today. Nobody shoots bullseye anymore. It's all $1,500-2,000 race guns with all kinds of exotic sights. A different sport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
colt 38 caliber special match trigger
colt 38 special mid range serial numbers
colt national match 38 special mid range

colt national match value

national match colt 38 special value
s&w national match 38