1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with gun fitting - new to trapshooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capulona, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capulona

capulona TS Member

Joined a clay target club in Northern NJ, I'm shooting a BT-99 Micro (it feels good) not thinking about competition, just to shoot better. Was wondering if I should invest in finding a Pro, who can determine if this is the right gun for me? If I need to change guns, might as well find out now.

Grateful for any advice.

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

How tall are you? the micro is the small version.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Not sure if you need a pro, but key dimensions to consider are the length of pull (your face should be about 1 1/2 inches from your thumb on the pistol grip when properly shouldered/cheeked for instance), comb height (to obtain your desired point of impact, reach from pistol grip to trigger should be such that that you comfortably place your finger on the trigger, and cast-on or cast-off (which determines your face/eye position left and right on the buttstock to ensure you are properly looking down the ribd. I believe the BT99 Micro is really designed for the youngster, with a very short length of pull for instance. Whether this is really correct for you can only be determined by you, your size, body shape, neck length, etc. If you have some experienced shooters at your club, you might ask for advice from them, having them observe how you shoulder/hold the gun, etc. You might ask if you could try other guns also to see if any of them have a better fit for you. That would give you some idea of what you need.

Jim R

4. capulona

capulona TS Member

Thanks for the reply - I stand about 5'6" with a small frame. It feels comfortable when I'm shooting.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

What is important is that it feels comfortable to you and that is a good start. JM

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Welcome to Trap Shooting.

Matt

7. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Just shoot it. A couple thousand rounds will let you know if adjustments are needed to be made. I will always suggest the adjustable recoil pad unit by graco / 100straight products if things dont feel right.

8. Cooter

Cooter Member

Capulona,Get in touch with Ed Yanchok(he is a member of North Jersey gun club)he will help you out.He also goes by the name Stock Doctor,nice guy.

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

with all the above good advice---here is what i look for in a new shooter /new gun ---the thumb to cheek space is important, the not beating you up or comfort shooting is good also---but when i ask a shooter "are you looking down the barrel--are the beads pretty well stacked", i am amazed on how many arent really looking straight down the barrel!!!!---------with an empty gun, get your stance in position, pull up the gun-- a person at the muzzle end shud be able to point the beads straight back to the bottom of your eyes pupil and see if you are straight down the barrel! PS: as they do this, it is easier if they take a finger and put under the muzzle ,supporting the barrel& to help them aim back to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.