1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Great Lakes Navy Training Center area

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pj 999, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Going to sons Navy graduation soon. Does any know this area? Hotels or places to stay? Is area pretty safe or are there areas to stay away from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Paul

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can get a room on base. Google Navy lodge and you should find it. then give them a call.

3. copper

copper Member

Been there twice we stayed at a hampton Inn rented a car and a GPS second time had no interest in the city not a city person. First time took wrong road and went took forever to get out of the getto went on forever, did not reserch asked direction WRONG. No GPS .

4. copper

copper Member

First time flew into midway wrong second time Oharr much better shuttle to rent car place and closer to destination . The era around looks like duck and goose central as you are going down 4 lane high way great time I was proud of all of the recruits is wonderfull they are so serious and focused. Is a welcome change from seeing 20 year olds hanging out at the Mall.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You could fly into Milwaukee also- might be slightly further but a much easier drive to the base.

I doubt you can stay on the base but you can check- they usually fill up.

Your son will want to go into town not hang on base.

Thank him for his service from all of us.

North Chicago is right outside the gate-- so lots of hotels- safe area

Bass Pro shop just down the road

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Dano

Dano TS Member

I will second what Gene said, Fly into Milwaukee....No sense driving in, around or thru that cesspool we call Metro Chicago....

You will like the Milwaukee Airport.....

Full Moon Resturant right outside the base, great place to eat..corn beef and cabbage to die for...

Dano

7. copper

copper Member

Forgot Thank you son for his service they all go to Bass PRO Mall after is close by was wonderfull lots of people came up and shook my sons hand he was beside himself as was I BEST WISH FOR YOU AND YOUR SON REGARDS David

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you fly into O'Hare your have the 294 tollway north all the way to Great Lakes. You don't even get close to Chicago,

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

lots of hotels around Great America, not far.

HM

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yup lotsa decent hotels around...I was just a temporary 8 week resident though...they couldn't wait to ship me out... AARRRGGGHHHH Me Mateys!!

11. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Thanks for all the help and replies. Looks like we have everything in order now. I am not a big city person so always gun shy when I have to go in or near an unknown big city. Thanks to all, Paul

12. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Follow up on graduation. Everything went great,nice super 8 about 10 minutes from base. Only bad thing was Chicago traffic and road construction. They can have all that. Thanks Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.