1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help with Gold Medal reloads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mette56, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I'm using a mec hydraulic with 30 bushing throwing 19 gr. of International Clays and 16 gr. of Clays. A Downrange CB2118-12 (12S3 replacement). 1 1/8 oz shot. My crimps are "diving in" to the point that shot is falling out. Using NO wad pressure.

Probably a simple fix but I'm not able to find the problem. Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks,

milt

2. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

It appears you need more "stack" inside the hull. If you switch to a bulky powder like Red Dot it might solve the problem. Be sure and check the load with a published recipe. When I loaded Gold Medals sometime ago I used Red Dot and an S3 clone and they crimped just fine.

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have always used either Green Dot 20 gr. or 7625 24 gr. the bulky powder and slow burn rates make a beautiful and soft reload. I use S3 wad & Fed primer.

4. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

Had similar issue. Use a 1 oz. wad and look in your loader manual and move the cam back. Worked fine for me.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Milt, the 16 gr of clays isn't bulky enough to fill the capacity and thus you will have to do as stated above and lower crimp starter and adjust to cam.

On the international load it shouldn't be to dished in. I use Green Dot mainly and it makes a perfect load at 19.5. I also use some red and American select and the red is dished.

Are you bringing the loader with you next week? If so I will adjust it for you..

6. IM390

IM390 Member

Although volume appears to be your problem, it a good idea to keep your pressure between 30 and 40 psi in case you change hulls. It won't hurt anything to leave it there. First, check to see if you a throwing a full 1 1/8 oz of lead. Many bushings throw 1 1/8 of 8s but only 1 1/16 oz of 7.5s. Also check a scale on your powder. 19 grains of International is an average load but 16 gr of Clays is very low. My manual suggests a minimum of 16.8 for 1090 fps. I've found that Clays' velocity tend to be lower than published data any way, so you should try something a little more mid-range on your powder to improve performance and increase that volume. Then you could always consider a Claybuster CB8118 wad instead. It's a nice alternative in that hull.

7. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Milt:I have reloaded Gold Medal hulls since 1980.I load a straight across Hodgens guide for a 23/4 dram 1150 fps load with 19.1 grains Clays-Win.209`s-11/8 oz.Rem mag 71/2`s and either Fed 12s3`s or CB2118-12`s.I use a hydrolic Spolar,but had the same results with a 366.I shoot these shells for all 3 events (27 yds).Hey look me up at MTA next week.I usually park along the road behind the new vendor bldg.I drive a White Chocolate colored `07 Ford F-150.I would like to meet you.I`ll be there all week...KS-OKIE..John Wiegand.

8. mette56

Thank you all,

I have not loaded for some years and I think my problem is with the bushing (#30 mec). I believe I used the 32 bushing in the past. Also, I really don't load Clays, just had some because my vendor was out of International. I'll try the #31 and see if that solves the problem. Machine adjustment...probably needs some of that too. Martin and John, I'll have the loader at the Fall shoot. I'll arrive on the 28th if the motor home gets out of the shop in time. Cell is 620-688-0352.

Thanks again,

milt

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

John, and others,

Although the construction is different (wound paper basewad vs solid), are the Top Guns the same internal volume (load same) as the GM?

tnx

10. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bruce Em:I`m sorry but I can`t answer that because I`ve never tried to load any.I have loaded a few thousand once fired Estates with the same results as regular GM hulls.Thats one of the really great things about a Spolar,the different basewad thickness makes no difference on primer seating.The primers are pushed up to the brass so all hulls are equal.I seem to get the same performace on 16`s & dbls but seem to lose a little something on 27yd hdcp.Target breaks and speed seem a little dimished.Could that be the result of fiber basewad as compared to one piece hulls ? ...John.

11. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have been loading GM hulls for many years and have used many powders and wad combinations, strictly following the powders reloading manual.

Presently using Hodgdon’s Clays and International and load with a Mec Grabber.

My loads are:

For doubles and singles: 16.8 grains of Clays, Fed. 209A primer, one ounce of #8 shot & Winchester brand WAA12SL wad.

For handicap: 17.5 grains of International, Fed. 209A primer, 11/8 ounce of #71/2 shot & Winchester brand WAA12 wad.

I do not have the problem you described. I suggest that you adjust the: Item #66 the Cam Crimp Housing, item # 68 the Cam Crimp Punch, item #46 the Cam and item #77 the Spindex Star Crimp.

These four items when set to their optimal settings will give you a good crimp. Follow the manual for adjustments for these items. Yes, you may need to experiment a bit to get it right, the manual only server as a basic guide.

Good Luck

Frank

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I loaded some Gold Medal plastic hulls with great success for Caps and Pondos. I was given a large amount of papers and plastic cases and I sold RCBS Grand to a shooter who was having trouble adjusting it to Rem hulls. I traded him some plastic GMs and things got better. I decided to reload a couple of boxes of GMs and the Blue 1 1/8 DR wad was close but not quite right. I went back to the Downrange web site and decided to try the Neon Green wad in the GM plastic hull. When I read that the Neon Green wad was originally made for the 1 1/8 GM plastics OR a 1oz load in Rem or AA, I decided to try them. Worked great and crimped perfect. I was using this with Universal powder from Hodgdon. They were a fast load. YMMV Omaha

13. mette56

Good post Frank, I'll try your advise.

Bet that's it...

milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.