1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Flinching

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I have been going back and forth on this for a while now. I developed a flinch over the winter. I have been considering going to a release, but have thought about a few other options as well. I have been told to place a snap cap in my gun and go out and shoot a few rounds with the snap cap. Go throught he whole routine set up, mount the gun, call for teh target, track the target, and pull the trigger on the snap cap. That is one option. Another is to get Terry Jordan's wall chart and to practice with it and a snap cap. Then there is the dive in and get a release trigger. I shot one round with someone elses gun with a release trigger. Only 25 shots but did not flinch, But I have also done this with my gun. I may go 50 or 75 rounds and then I will flinch. If I go with a release and I am shooting a Browning XT with a factory Gra-Coil on it. It is a decision that I need to make in a hurray as our state shoot and Grand Pacific is a little more than a month away. If I go with a release I am thinking about Allem's as they seem to have the best reputation out there. They are without a doubt highly recommended. I would appreciate all thoughts and comments.
    Thanks,
    Jim Bradbury

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Go with the release and be done with it. You can try all the other supposed flinch fixes but in the end the release is the real answer. Allems is one of the best but don't leave out Phillips Gunsmithing. He will do a equally good job and is very fast with turnaround. I don't know how quick Allems will get yours done and back to you. Don't forget to allow time to learn to shoot the release. If your gonna go that route you need it done ASAP.

Shootlow---Didn't take very long for that release thread. LMAO

3. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I have used Phillip,s several times and he get things back fast. I have him turn a trigger around in two days. That is great and he does good work. I find his prices and work to be among the best. I second the go to release and not look back. It could take a long time come up with the cause and cure of your flinch if ever. Tom

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Mr. Jim my heart is with you! We have a few things in common. My name is Jim too and I also shoot a XT. I do not agree with the above post and suspect that I will be in disagreement with most of the posts to follow. Everybody's gonna say get the release. It's not time to get a release just yet and here is why. I have shot about 125,000 rounds through my XT over a 12 year period. My gun has a Gracoil and adjustable pad. I developed a flinch so bad that I thought about quitting. I tried everything suggested on Trapshooter. I tried a few gun fitters and they did not help either. Everybody said raise the comb and it made my teeth hurt! I am 6'-4" and thought that I needed more length, all the way to almost 15 1/2" and an array of thick and soft pads. I decided my problem was a vision deal and visited my optomotrist more than once. The flinch got so bad that I could not make the gun fire about three times in each 100 targets. I loaned one of my auto's to a chair shooter friend to use for doubles until his gun goy back from modifications. When he gave it back, I shot it and there was NO RECOIL! I carried it home and set my XT up to the same dimensions and the problem went away immediately! I shortened the stock to 14 & 1/8" and dropped the comb as far as it would go, and installed the thin (no cushion at all) pad that came on the Gracoil to get the short length. The flinch is GONE! I am not suggesting that you do these things but I strongly suspect that the problem is in the deminsions.----somewhere----
    I am a "A" 25 "B" class shooter and my averages are the highest they have ever been. Don't give up and don't be afraid to change even though against conventional wisdom. GOOD LUCK!!

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

You can spend a lot of $$ to try and rectify your flinching problems. When all is said and done you will end up with a release. Follow the advice of grntitan and twcpdc. Contact Phil Crenwelge and ask him to convert your XT to a release. My flinch has disappeared thanks to the release trigger. Good Luck. Ed

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I know more than a few guys that fight this battle with varying degrees of sucess. Once this little flinch SOB gets into your head it is difficult to get it out. A release trigger is the fastest way to put the problem behind you and some will say it is the only way.

I started having a flinch attack about fifteen years ago when I believed that a person really needed 1 1/8 Oz of shot @ 1,250 (+) fps to break targets. And not only that but you needed to shoot a whole bunch of them to get good. My solution was to start shooting mild 1 Oz loads and then only a couple of boxes per session. I always wanted to keep shooting so it was a hard regiment for awhile. Within a season my singles average had soared to a bit over 98% and I didn't have any visits from the flinch gremlins. I do shoot some 3 dram 1 1/8 Oz loads these days but only in the 27 HC events. For everything else the weinie 1 Oz loads do just great.

So you have a choice - get a mechanical solution that doesn't necessarily get rid of the flinch but makes it something that doesn't hurt your score(the release trigger ) -- or do what it takes to convince your mind that the body isn't taking a beating from all that shooting.

7. rfilber

rfilber TS Member

If I had to do it over again the first time I flinched I would have went to a release trigger. I fought it too long & felt like quitting the sport. Went to a double release & no more flinch & it didn't take long to get the hang of it.

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

If you go release I too recommend Phillip Crenweldge,210-313-5988. JRM

9. fly

fly Active Member

went through it myself with my browning, Krieghoff, and perazzi. it came and went, shooting skeet, trap or sporties, low gun or mounted gun, 12 gauge or 410, or even with no shells. I wasted 6 years of entries, ammo, frustration, and the only thing good that came out of staying with a pull trigger, was the humor my shooting buddies got from watching me.

why pull when you can release?

I went about a year without flinching and thought it was gone. If you really have shot that many shells, you must be serious. stop messing around and just convert one gun and see how good it works. I did an auto 391 first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.