1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with fixed choke 870 barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I have three Remington 870 fixed choke barrels. They are 28" full(.695), 28" modified(.710) and 26" skeet(.730). These barrels are actually gas ported for use on my sportsman 58 TB. I measured these at the end of the barrels and as I understand it this makes the chokes full(40), modified(25) and skeet(5) assumming the skeet really has 5 thousands over cylinder. I would like to verify that I have the correct understanding because I am looking for help in finding someone who can work on my full and skeet barrels.

My goal is to open the full up a little and to convert the skeet to screw in chokes for use on 5 stand events at my club.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The choke is actually the constriction from the bore to the end of the bbl. So assuming yours is .735 Id say you have the correct understanding.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You won't know what the choke is until you measure the diameter of the barrel and subtract the diameter of the choke from it. HMB

4. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I have three Remington 870 fixed choke barrels. They are 28" full(.695), 28" modified(.710) and 26" skeet(.730). These barrels are actually gas ported for use on my sportsman 58 TB. I measured these at the end of the barrels and as I understand it this makes the chokes full(40), modified(25) and skeet(5) assumming the skeet really has 5 thousands over cylinder. I would like to verify that I have the correct understanding because I am looking for help in finding someone who can work on my full and skeet barrels.

My goal is to open the full up a little and to convert the skeet to screw in chokes for use on 5 stand events at my club.

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The choke is actually the constriction from the bore to the end of the bbl. So assuming yours is .735 Id say you have the correct understanding.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You won't know what the choke is until you measure the diameter of the barrel and subtract the diameter of the choke from it. HMB

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

Old rem factory barrels do have a fair amount of variation in what the bores measure. I like the old fixed choke barrels a lot and have a handful of them and I also have a bore micrometer.

I have measured the fixed choke barrels and have found bores anywhere from 0.720 up to 0.740 on just standard vent rib barrels, so until you measure the bore and the choke constriction you don't really know what you have,

to further add problems to the mix it is not uncommon that some one may have had those barrels opened up....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington fixed skeet choke constriction