1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Fed Primer data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shotgunbutch, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I am in need of reload data for STS hulls--- red dot--- green duster 1 ounce---
    with Federal 209 A primers.

I have searched Alliant and Federal primers and had not found reloading data using the fed primers.

Anyone have this data?

Arnie

2. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

The closest thing to this load that I could find is Rem hull Fed 209 primer wad Rem R12L. 1290fps at 10,500 psi.
    Erwin

3. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

tatersaled,

Was that data using Red Dot? IF so how much?

Thanks, Arnie

4. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

Arnie,
    That's 20.5 red dot 10,500psi.This came out of an old Alliant powder reloaders' guide that is about 25 years old. red dot Fed 209 wad Rem.R12L

My question is what is the difference in Fed 209 and 209A ?

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between Fed 209 and Fed 209A. Fed 209A is hotter. When they first came out Federal posted a warning to not use the old Fed 209 data with the Fed 209A.

The lack of cross component listings is one of the major grips, I have with Alliant. Almost all their listing are only with primers that match the hull manufacturer.

17.7 gr Hodgdon Clays, Rem STS, Fed 209A, Win WAA12SL, 1 oz shot, 1,235 f/s, 11,300 psi.

I'll try to check Lyman's 5th ed, when I get home to see if they have any thing.

Jason

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

tatersaled

It's important to note the age of the data and that the Federal 209 primers IS NOT the same as a Federal 209A. The Federal 209A appears to develop higher pressures than the older Federal 209. They are NOT interchangeable.

Shotgunbutch

I would seriously not experiment with the unknown. If you call Alliant, they may be able to give you some direction. Unfortunately, I have heard some advice from Alliant on occasion, that I would disagree with. Apparently, they did not have any data for the components in question and were just guessing. If they just tell you to drop the powder charge a half grain and go with it, I'd be careful. I would avoid anything that develops over 10,000 PSI. The Green Dusters appear to produce higher pressures in some loads, The Federal 209A primers are also known to develop higher pressures in most loads. Stack them up and you could be well over the line. Either use the data as written with the exact components listed, or consider loading up a few samples and sending them out for pressure and velocity testing. I would usually start with the lightest load for another primer using the EXACT components for the rest of the load and drop the powder charge. I would consider doing this IF the lowest load developed somewhere around or under 8000 PSI. In your case, the lowest load listed for the same components with another primer STARTS at 10,000 PSI. That's too high for a comfortable margin for error. You also didn't mention what velocity you were looking for.

7. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Quack Shot,
    I wanted 1200 FPS. I never load without published data.

It would seem to be prudent for the powder and component manufacturers to list more reloading data. Sales are king.

Thanks for all your replies.

Arnie

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The statement: <blockquote>"In your case, the lowest load listed for the same components with another primer STARTS at 10,000 PSI. That's too high for a comfortable margin for error."</blockquote>

The reply: <blockquote>"It would seem to be prudent for the powder and component manufacturers to list more reloading data. Sales are king."</blockquote>

No, in the munitions business, SAFETY is king. If a specific combination of components generates a load that is either too close to or above safe limits, why on earth would a manufacturer publish the data for it?? Some components just don't play well together!

Carol Lister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.